Sri Lanka holiday: Day 4-6, Sigiriya, Dambulla and on to Kandy


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Central Province » Sigiriya
May 31st 2017
Published: May 31st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Again, this is another aspect of the holiday I was really looking forward to – going up the Sigiriya rock! It’s not hard to notice as you make your way towards it, standing 700 feet over the surrounding plains. Before I went I was most looking forward to standing at the top of the rock and taking in the views, but when I got there I was surprised at the historic gardens that surround the rock and they are well worth exploring either before or after you make the climb. We saw the famous lions paw, mirror wall and frescoes on our ascent to the top and then I wasn’t left disappointed with the views when we finally made it to the top. My only reservation here would be to ensure you wear comfortable shoes and have a supply of drink – we were on our feet quite a lot in the sun.



Next stop on our Sri Lankan holiday were the famous Dambulla caves. Definitely take your camera to here! There are five caves and we found richly decorated statues of Buddha (including the large reclining Buddha) and kings from Sri Lanka’s past and vividly coloured walls and ceilings. Like many of the other places on the holiday Dambulla really takes you back in time and immerse you in Sri Lanka history and culture.



We then made our way to Kandy, with the next day assigned to visiting the Temple of the tooth and the Royal Botanical Gardens.





Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb