The Culture Side


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Central Province » Kandy
January 14th 2015
Published: January 14th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Today we drove to Dambulla Caves which date back to 1st BC. The amazing complex of 5 caves was used by a King who upon regaining the throne commissioned magnificent carved images within the living rock. Fran sat this one out as Keith climbed for about an hour and covered about 250 steps and sloping rock to reach the caves. It was an awesome sight to see these caves and its status of Lord Buddha plus his followers. Fantastic view from the top and worth the walk. We then continued to Kandy
which is the second largest city in Sri Lanka. On route we stopped at the Matale Spice Gardens. At the entrance Keith spotted a 1950 Morris Minor Lowlight Saloon car parked under a palm tree garage. Fran has never seen me move so fast to have a look at this classic car. We toured the spice garden and was shown some spices and how they were grown. Both of us had a head massage by two people who were learning their trade, well we sat there and it was like going three rounds with a boxer. Anyway it was an experience never forgotten. We left there and droveto the Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic, which is beloved to be the house of Buddha's tooth. Throngs of pilgrims flock to get a glimpse of the golden casket which contains the tooth. Again the Temple and its contents were magnificent. To view inside this sacred site Keith had to wear a sarong as his shorts were too short. After that we went to see a cultural dance show which depicted colourful costumes, drums and a chanting horn. Again well worth seeing. After all this excitement we drove to our hotel which was on the side of a river. As this was the day after the presidential election it was a public holiday so no alcohol.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb