On Safari


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » North Central Province » Polonnaruwa
January 14th 2015
Published: January 14th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Another day starts at Cinnimon Lodge, had a lazy morning and late breakfast. Rested Fran's ankle and applied ice to ease the swelling before our afternoon activity. In the afternoon We met our guide at the front of our Lodge and got into a safari jeep and drove to Eco Park to see some wild life. The jeep was driven by the safari guide and trundled along the road at about 30 MPH towards the park. The speedo, fuel and temperature gauges were not working and the safari guide has to move the steering wheel through 180 degrees before the front wheels would turn, ummm!!! I think there was some wear and play in the steering. We suddenly turned off road and down a dirt track through the dust and pot holes (some were 30cm deep) scrapping the overhanging trees and bushes, we were on safari!!! Suddenly we saw them, a herd of elephants grazing (noisy eaters) the jeep moved in closer so we were about 10 meters from the herd which numbered about 20. There were about 8 safari jeeps watching this herd then started to back up as the guide mentioned that the bull elephant was going to charge. (About 500 rupees). The elephants started to make their way to the river for a drink, so all the jeeps had to wait as the water crossing has three elephants on the way. After taking photos the jeep moved off and we were standing in the back looking out over the park land being thrown from side to side backwards and forwards as the jeep went down pot hole after pot hole through the park. It was good fun as we hung on whist being thrown side to side. We also saw an Eagle in the tree and some local birds. After about 40 minutes the track ended and we were back on the Tarmac road heading back to the Lodge. On route were saw more elephants about 7 meters from side the road. You don't see that in the UK!!!
We arrived back at the Lodge said goodbye to the safari guide and counted our bruises. What a wonderful experience to see elephants in the wild from the back of a 1950's jeep. Sad news no alcohol due to Sri Lankan presidential elections!!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0265s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb