On the way to Kalmunai - "Sir, too many rivers & rocks". "Damn the rivers & blast the rocks"


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Central Province » Kandy
August 3rd 2008
Published: March 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

After having been warned and advised so many times to drive carefully by the hostel owner in Kandy, we entered to the famous Kadugannawa pass, a sheer ascent of 250 meters (820 ft) in a matter of 5km 3miles, complete with 17 hairpin bends. The road was slippery and there was a lack of early warnings along the road which prevent anyone driving fast. We had a break or two along the road. We bought some tea and jaggery made out of kithul honey. It was a relief.

At the end of the final hairpin bend, the road passes through a mini-tunnel carved out of a solid rock promontory.

The view in all directions is spectacular on the approach to Kandy. The city nestles in a wide plain surrounded by a ring of guarding mountains, with pretty names - Bible Rock, Lion Rock, Ship Rock, Camel Hill, Tuber rock & Balloon Rock. We were driving 500 metres above sea level slowly and carefully by letting others to pass us.

When I reach the end of the 17th bend, I was relieved. I drove as fast as I could to reach the one and only security check point to get a permission so that I could cross the newly liberated Eastern Province before the darkness falls.

The security checking was time consuming due to too many documents to fill and sign. However, we were given OK signal because we were coming from South.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.259s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 21; qc: 102; dbt: 0.1869s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb