Some Updates


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Central Province » Ella
January 8th 2009
Published: January 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hello, right now I am writing from the most breathtaking, beautiful, peaceful little village you have ever seen. Its called Ella, and its in Sri Lanka, a small country right below India. We have flown here for 10 days (which means we have to pack in an entire country in just over a week) before we return to India to visit the north and finally visit the almighty rajasthan, the ganges river, and hopefully do some snowboarding up in kashmir!! supposably very similar to canada and considered india's paradise.

anyways back to sri lanka, although very similar to india in pretty much everyway, we have noticed a few differences, although india is extremely beautiful, nothing can compete with the views and settings we have seen in sri lanka so far. the first night we were here we got up at 3 in the morning and hiked Adams peak, which is sri lankas biggest mountain. if you hike at night you get there for the sunrise which is CRAZY beautiful, you also can see sri lanka all the way out to the coastline, and even in some parts the clouds are lower than you. Adams peak is also a holy spot for buddhists, hindus and christians (much like many other holy spots in asia, they all seem to think they belong to their religion, but unlike the western world they seem to be quite content in sharing them). so because it is a holy spot the hike is also a pilgrammige, so the trail was filled with monks from all over the world and families of sri lankans. let me tell you, it was really inspiring to see old grannies hiking this thing. the hike consisted of 3 hours straight up steps to the top, but going down was almost as hard because your legs are shaking the entire time. basically its three days later and me and kels are still hobbling around like little grannies, we look pretty weird but everybody here just replies, oh you just hiked adams peak?

anyways im gonna go back to exploring and enjoying this perfect little village because we are leaving tommorow back to the beach (even though i know ill be returning to ella one day because its definately one of my favorite spots on this trip). also i would recommend every and anyone to go to sri lanka, its definately underrated in north america. even though its a bit dangerous up north, the south and hill country is spectacular and actually a regular vacation spot for european families.

Hope your enjoying the snow back home!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb