Travel Blog #4 B4


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea
November 22nd 2013
Published: November 22nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

How does people in South Korea celebrate the wedding day?

In South Korea, the groom's friends and family send presents to the bribe through the box called Ham before the wedding day. Inside Ham includes the following: blue/red silks, which is used to make clothes; wedding paper, which is wrapped in black silk; and Honsu, which is a collection of valuables for the bride. Hamjinabi is a person who delivers the Ham with his group of friends. Hamjinabi, traditionally, wears a dried squid on his face while delivering the Ham. However, Hamjinabi does not delivers Ham for free; Hamjinabi and his friends deliver based on how well they are served from the bribe's family. Bribe's family have party for them, serving with foods and money to buy alcohol. In the past, the bribe groom's servant delivered the Ham and was rewarded with repast afterward. Since there are no servant in South Korea today, the bribe groom's friends and family deliver the Ham instead.



There are many traditional wedding foods with symbolic meanings in South Korea. For example, Kuk Soo is a long noodle in a soup that represents a long and happy life for the marrying couples. In addition, dates and chestnuts represents the children; therefore, they are thrown at the bride, who try to catch the most as possible using her long traditional skirt. The number of dates and chestnuts caught indicates the size of the couple's family. A popular desert that is served in a wedding ceremony is Dok, which is a sticky rice cake that comes in many different kinds.



Advertisement



22nd November 2013

Source
http://www.lifeinkorea.com/culture/marriage/marriage.cfm?xURL=before

Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb