Some Korean Humour


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea
May 26th 2010
Published: May 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Umbrellas are for more than just rain!Umbrellas are for more than just rain!Umbrellas are for more than just rain!

Umbrellas are a hot commodity here and used year round, perhaps just as much in the sunshine as in the rain. Koreans love to have white skin and therefore avoid the sun like it's the plague.
Hi everyone!! Today has been one of those days here when I could do without people talking about me in Korean without telling me what they are saying or the constant stares from passerbys. In Korea you quickly learn that the word for 'foreigner' is WAYGUK and it can often be heard no matter where you are. From kids, form adults, anyone! Sometimes it gets to me and other times it doesn't but I seriously think you would never hear someone in Canada say "Look, Mom, a foreign person!" - unless of course the kids was like 3 and didn't know better.

I came across this great website today (www.roketship.com) that has comics about Korean stereotypes and it's so hilarious! It gave both of us a good chuckle and we thought we'd share some of our faves with you! These are some of the best ones, and the ones that we experience on a weekly (if not daily) basis!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Welcome to Mike's life at schoolWelcome to Mike's life at school
Welcome to Mike's life at school

Kids are obsessed with our differences, including blonde hair, facial hair and arm hair. Mike actually had a student LICK his arm last week...ya.
Another Mike experienceAnother Mike experience
Another Mike experience

When getting your hair cut is as much of a gamble as playing blackjack, you know you are in Korea. Mike's hair usually gets messed up in one way or another at every hair cut! Good thing hair cuts only cost 6$ here!
The pronunciation GameThe pronunciation Game
The pronunciation Game

When Nite Club is read Na-eat-uh Ke-luh-buh you know you are in Korea! It's a little like playing Mad Gab...great game, by the way!
Lingerie StoreLingerie Store
Lingerie Store

First question when you walk in "You couple?". Matching underwear/bras/boxers in the girliest of prints is featured in every lingerie store window! And no, we have not ventured down this avenue yet...
HAHAHA - Gotta love Love MotelsHAHAHA - Gotta love Love Motels
HAHAHA - Gotta love Love Motels

Shout out here to both our parents who have experienced the wonder that is Korean Love Motels first hand!
This is why we give kids English namesThis is why we give kids English names
This is why we give kids English names

However, I have students with names like Trash (er, trashee), Orange (aka orangee), Cristiano Rinaldo and Obama. They get creative when they are allowed to make their own name!
Point and HopePoint and Hope
Point and Hope

This is a regular occurrence when you can't understand the menu! (Note: Hana=1, Juseyo= please give me)
Why no one trusts Dr's in KoreaWhy no one trusts Dr's in Korea
Why no one trusts Dr's in Korea

Including Koreans! This is EXACTLY what has been happening to Mike since he last injured his foot in Taekwondo! And surprise, surprise, it's not helping!
Everytime on the subwayEverytime on the subway
Everytime on the subway

You will NEVER win a staring contest with a Korean. You are weird. They will stare. Get used to it.
I hear ya, dude!I hear ya, dude!
I hear ya, dude!

Seriously, this is a tricky game to play at times! The last thing you want is to be stuck without enough TP....
The infamous Blue TruckThe infamous Blue Truck
The infamous Blue Truck

These trucks are used for anything, including election campaigning, selling food, transporting things and even dispelling the awful gray spray that is supposed to kill mosquitoes. No matter what it's use, it's loud and annoying!


Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 73; dbt: 0.0731s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb