it ain't glaciated, but it will do


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea
December 11th 2006
Saved: August 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

DanyangDanyangDanyang

The gate keeper

Danyang



About a month ago Kristin and I managed to escape the gravitational pull of our city and escaped East to the mountains. A friend of mine that I met on my North Korea trip put a small hiking trip together and invited us along. The area really has no real significance that I know of except that its name is an abbreviation of two Korean words Yeon-Dan and Jo-Yang. The first refers to a hermit’s magic potion (for immortality) and the second part meaning warm sunrays shining over the area. When put together it implies a place where it is pleasant to live, under the protection of the guardians. There were some cool caves that we went through and some great mountain scenery. My boss did mention to me that he was born in this specific town that we were visiting, but don’t let that piece of information get you all excited. Instead, have a look at the pictures.

On the hike Kristin and I managed to break away from the rest of the group to prove to the Koreans that us “white folk” can hike with the best of them. Turns out we did a good job. A hike that was expected to take a strong hiker 3 hours only took us about 2.5. The best part of the climb was that I managed to see some snow that had fallen a few days earlier. The area was so nice that Paul and I will be returning this weekend for a longer more intense climb where we will be hiking between two cities while traversing some of the peaks in the area.

Hope to get some more snow capped mountain shots of this area after this upcoming trip.




Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom

BridgeBridge
Bridge

Kristin's pic
Cave Cave
Cave

Kristin (2006)
Cave Cave
Cave

Kristin (2006)
MeMe
Me

Kristin (2006)
Hiking day.Hiking day.
Hiking day.

Kristin (2006) Morning
Hiking day.Hiking day.
Hiking day.

Kristin (2006) Info
Hiking day.Hiking day.
Hiking day.

Kristin (2006) Trail
Hiking day.Hiking day.
Hiking day.

Kristin (2006) Trail
Hiking day.Hiking day.
Hiking day.

Kristin (2006) Top
Hiking day.Hiking day.
Hiking day.

Kristin (2006) Top


Comments only available on published blogs

Tot: 0.183s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb