Not really a touristy sort of place


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Ulsan
March 4th 2006
Published: March 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Daewongam Park Market in UlsanDaewongam Park Market in UlsanDaewongam Park Market in Ulsan

Some ladies sell sea shells and eels in the road-side market in Daewongam Park.
Country number 79.
I have included this blog for Korea because I think Korea deserves it. The food is very good, fresh and cheap. The people are very polite and unbelieveably industrious. There is no street crime (well, not in Ulsan anyway). A thing that I noticed about Korean people is that they get on with their business and don't even give you a second glance.
The entire city of Ulsan is dominated by Hyundai. They own everything right down to the restaurant in the Hyundai department store.
Some advice for travellers would be to watch yourself when you're transferring from Incheon to Gimpo airport. Get cash before you leave the airport. Get the bus (they call it a limosine) to Gimpo - it's only 4500 won and there are about 3 different companies operating a service. Watch you don't get off at the Gimpo International rather than the Gimpo Domestic terminal (like what I did). English is not widely spoken, but there is enough information on signs for you to know where you are going. All road signs are dual language in Ulsan, so I guess they must be in other parts of Korea too.
Worth seeing in Ulsan is
Daewongam IslandDaewongam IslandDaewongam Island

The small rock island of Daewongam lies at the south-easterly-most point of Korea in Ulsan.
the live fish market at the harbour. I found a little restaurant that did a noodles in cream sauce with prawns, shrimps and mussels and Korean side dishes (horse radish with chilies) for 3000 won (about £1.50 GBP / $2 US). Unbelieveably tasty and cheap too.
Also worth a visit is the Daewongam Park pine forest. Daewongam is a large rock island, but it has been connected to the mainland with an iron bridge. The view of the Hyundai Heavy Industries dockyard in the distance is a little off-putting, but there is a beach in Ulsan, and lots of shops.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Ulsan Live Fish MarketUlsan Live Fish Market
Ulsan Live Fish Market

This is the fish market in Ulsan. No messing about, no tourists. Really wierd fish, crabs and shells of all kinds for sale.
Harry Ramsden at workHarry Ramsden at work
Harry Ramsden at work

This is a restaurant! Well, at least the food is fresh, even of the sanitory conditions leave a little to be desired.
Harry Ramsden at workHarry Ramsden at work
Harry Ramsden at work

This is a restaurant! Well, at least the food is fresh, even of the sanitory conditions leave a little to be desired.


Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0285s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb