Soon to Be in Seoul.


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Seoul
July 30th 2006
Published: July 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Oasis Beomeo IntersectionOasis Beomeo IntersectionOasis Beomeo Intersection

At the major intersections of my neighborhood, walk across the major four-lane road, timidly, and find yourself in a teeny park - with a vine overhang and a little area of trees and grass. It's about 20 feet until you reach the next smaller street to cross over. Along the 20 foot path are long benches, and old men with vegetable carts often stop to rest there. Which affirms the ubiquitous dichotomy. Look down, see an old man playing chess. Look up, see a huge flat-screen tv for advertisements.
YIKES! It is scorching hot in Daegu "Dop-tda.." -- it's very hot, in Korean.
so Hailey, Mike, Matt, Keira and…Adam? * haven’t met yet * are taking the KTX up to Seoul in about an hour. Mike and Kira are married - and silly, funky couple who, I've heard, met in Canada while studying humanities at a university. I think they’re both around 28 years old.
I met Mike while sitting around Boryeong (west coast beach) after the mud festival. We had both missed the first bus back, and we were looking equally dismal about the three-hour wait for the second bus. SO, we, along with Matt, took our own route back, busing it to Cheonan, then taking the train to Cheongju, and then to Daejon where we caught the KTX, the “bullet train.” My South Korean travel guide was apparently published before 2003, when the KTX was finished, so…there’s not much information about it, which irks me, because it’s “seriously wicked,” as Hailey would say.
Since I haven’t yet ventured to Seoul, here are some photos around the Beomeo (pronounced Bumuh) Bong (neighborhood)…my new stomping grounds.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Soccer IS LIFE.Soccer IS LIFE.
Soccer IS LIFE.

Random Government Building post: boasting soccer shrine.
Dwarfed by the UFO-topped high rises.Dwarfed by the UFO-topped high rises.
Dwarfed by the UFO-topped high rises.

The quaint apartment building in the right corner -- like many many apartment buildings, the builders made the whole exterior out of cement and squished large-potato rocks into the cement. The GIGANTIC high rises next door are white and pristine, and at night, these UFO green glowing tops lead me home from anywhere in a two-mile radius. You can't see the green glowing tops, but I'll capture them in film soon.


Tot: 0.5s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.3764s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb