Edit Blog Post
Published: April 5th 2006
So my time in South Korea is come to an end and I wanted to just give my overall opinion and some things to think about if you’re thinking about traveling here. First of all there is not a huge foreign tourist scene here in Korea, for the solo backpacker like myself. I found them to have a great transportation system with fairly cheap buses all over the country but once you reached your destination there are not a lot of cheap places to stay, and sometime they are hard to find. Unless of course you are traveling with a companion then it can be quite inexpensive. The people here seem quite rude as well, but you just need to not care it’s just the way they are (city folk), no smiles even though they will stare at you for uncomfortable amounts of time while meeting on the street or sitting on the subway. Also they don’t seem to care much for proper line-up etiquette, is your not nestled right up to the guy in front of you be prepared to have so lady push her way in front of you, this happened to me 90% of the time (what do ya do?). At first it was frustrating but you get used to it pretty quickly. I don’t mean to harp on these people it’s just different; I also met some really nice and helpful people as well.
So if your going to travel here here’s a few things you might want to know….
- bring a sheet, they don’t have them in the rooms (and I’m sure they don’t wash the blankets every time they’re used)
- don’t blow your nose in public, this is very rude even though you can hork a massive luggy in front of Grandma and it’s all right
- get a good travel book, NOT Lonely Planet Korea (no good)
- realize it is not cheap to be here
- try to travel with someone or you may go days not talking to anyone and it’s much cheaper
- come in the late summer of fall, much more beautiful and warm
- try Man-do, so yummy
- if you can’t eat hot food make sure you ask before you order if it’s spicy
Well that’s it for Korea for me; I’ll be heading to the Philippines next!!!! Time for some sunshine and beaches
Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.037s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0134s; 1; m:saturn w:www (220.127.116.11); sld: 1;
; mem: 1.2mb