Korean Blog-abration #2: Kpop & Superstar K


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Seoul
September 20th 2009
Published: September 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Count down is now under twenty days until we shove off from the Hermit Kingdom, and it’s starting to hit us that we’re actually leaving. We are leaving Korea on October 5th, officially, and spending a week in Japan, exploring Tokyo and down through Kyoto and beyond (if we have time). Then on the 10th, we will be jumping back on a plane to head back to the western hemisphere, changing planes in Seattle and then to Bozeman. Neither of us can really believe that we are leaving sooo soon! There are all kinds of things creeping up on us, and we’re staying ahead of the curve, but the stresses of it all are still on the back burner.

Not only are there a million and one things to do for our schools, end of contract money/ tax refund/ apartment deposit refund/ last months check/ etc., as well as taking care of the living part of being here, cancelling the phone, internet, electricity, etc., but that still leaves us with the most important thing, spending one last time with everyone that has been so amazing to us over here.

Our calendar is nearly chocked full of dinner dates with
What's not to love about K-Pop?What's not to love about K-Pop?What's not to love about K-Pop?

Lance and I at Superstar K -the Korean version of American Idol... 3 rows from the stage!
friends, teachers, and old co-teachers (my Mr. Kim and Cass’ Eun Hee/ Mrs. Moon combo- all of them had to change schools months ago). Not only that, but we end up leaving the day after the Korean Holiday of Chusok, their version of Thanksgiving, so everyone will be extra excited to have a long weekend, as well. I don’t know if I’ll be able to handle it, but I have the socialist of butterflies in my corner- Cass- who always has my back when I’m not properly wound down (I can get a bit crank when that doesn’t happen, I’ll admit it).

One of those things that filled up one of our Friday nights, was a Kpop kick in the head. You may remember the past blog post called KPop Invasion Kpop Invasion . It gave everyone a little insight to the wild and ridiculous Korean pop culture we’ve grown a bit fond of. Well, with our days dwindling in this country, we finally managed to hit the ultimate in all that is truly Kpop….

Introducing…

Blog-abration #2: Kpop & Superstar K



My best attempt at describing this phenomenon to you will still probably not suffice, but I will do my best. Kpop is an abbreviation for the Korean pop culture. It is also talked about, mainly outside of Korea, as the ‘Korean Wave,’ or the recent boost of popularity of the contemporary South Korean arts, more specifically music, television, fashion, and movies. I mentioned in the last post, singing groups like the (I’ll try to find links to all these, cuz I know there is curiosity out there, so enjoy the vids and pics) Wonder Girls (who are touring in the U.S. right now). They were a bit more popular when we first arrived here with the song,
"> Nobody, along with Big Bang’s collaboration with the girl group 2NE1 for the wildly popular song that even I get stuck in my head,
&feature=fvst"> Lollipop. Since then groups like Super Junior have had songs I would constantly hear, and the one I often used when teaching the alphabet, the Girl’s Generation song called &feature=related"> Gee. Really, regarless of the group, it is an obnoxiously addictive sound that is ubiquitous around the Korean peninsula, and even greater asia (Cass and I heard the Wonder Girls in a taxi in Vietnam while we were there!) The wild part is that everyone buys into
The tense moments before the winner is announcedThe tense moments before the winner is announcedThe tense moments before the winner is announced

We had our favorites...
this fad, from the kindergarteners at my school to the old timers on the streets. It is blasted from open storefronts, to E-Mart, to apartments, and cars. It’s hard to avoid, and, honestly, you don’t really want to avoid it after a while.

I’m getting a little off track, the reason the Kpop was thrust at us, yet again, was none of these particular songs or bands, it was actually Abba. Well not really, but sort of. We took up a friend’s offer to go see the live taping of the Korean television show, “Superstar K.” Of course we were going to go, and rallied quite a crew to come with us, despite our gross lack of knowledge about anything that we were getting into.

It could have quite possibly turned into one of the more memorable experiences we’ve had while in Korea. We were in the first 100 people to show up for what turned out to be an exact replica of American Idol… only Korean style.

We sat in the third row from the stage, watched about 30 minutes of footage from the previous week that was edited to make a cool tv show, then
JudgesJudgesJudges

Lee Hyeori and the Simon Cowell judge (don't know his name, but he owns the record label that produces the show... i think)
the action started. Eight singers chose an Abba song to sing for the Weigookins, then 3 famous judges (I only remember the beautiful girl’s name, Lee Hyeori- only because my students were kidding me about liking here- honest!), who definitely had their roles like the U.S. version (pretty girl, trying to be a badass by wearing mirrored shades, and then the normal guy).

The practicing of the applause must have payed off, because when I walked into my 2nd grade class the following Tuesday, the homeroom teacher (who speaks English really well) erupted because she saw me and Cassie on the show. I guess it would have been pretty cool to see us, especially if you weren’t expecting it. Word quickly spread about our appearance and was soon followed by some youtube links in my email box.

Sorry, I can no longer find the links, or they don't work, or they're lost in cyber space, or something-- so you'll just have to take my word for it that we are Korean Idols now (ish). However, I did manage to sift through the korean websites to find a clip from a different show so that you can get the gist
Goodbye, Red HatGoodbye, Red HatGoodbye, Red Hat

He was one of our choices to stay.
of our experience... click here, and even an entire hour and a half episode, again- different episode, but same awesomeness, here. Have fun with that!

Other than that aspect of Kpop, we really haven’t been too into the movies or anything else. Perhaps a few cloths to take home with us, and a new bowtie for me, is the extent of the Korean style we have. At lease, I will surely come home with a smidge different sense of style, but starting off without any at all, I’d say it’s an improvement!

Hope all is well back home! We’ll see you all very soon!



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Star PassionStar Passion
Star Passion

The fans mobbing the stage after the show.. you can see emotion on each face, some were crying- others reaching for their idol. Us??? we were lost...
Shawna, Jon G., and CassShawna, Jon G., and Cass
Shawna, Jon G., and Cass

The three that got the most camera time, they were on the aisle.
Above StageAbove Stage
Above Stage
Dramatic Steps on the stageDramatic Steps on the stage
Dramatic Steps on the stage
Stage SecurityStage Security
Stage Security

Just a favorite shot of mine, that's all
Lee Hyeori... judgeLee Hyeori... judge
Lee Hyeori... judge

and a korean idol, really, she's everywhere... cosmetic ads, commercials, t.v., music
MCMC
MC

The Ryan Seacrest of Korea
WaitingWaiting
Waiting

The TV part of the show, the footage from the week, took up the first 30 minutes of show, so the MC was just chillin for the longest time on the stage, kind of funny
belting it outbelting it out
belting it out

one of the first singers
Waiting for the que...Waiting for the que...
Waiting for the que...
InterviewInterview
Interview

inbetween acts
Our FavOur Fav
Our Fav

She was awesome, our favorite by far. cool style, stage presence, great voice
BeamingBeaming
Beaming
ProductionProduction
Production

It was a production that would rival any other
Who will sit in the final chair... after these messages...Who will sit in the final chair... after these messages...
Who will sit in the final chair... after these messages...

The final, lonely chair to get filled. Some anxious moments right now!


24th September 2009

so soon.....
Yup, so soon. I was hoping to catch up with you guys when i do get to korea . Won't be for a while though, as I have too many in my list. But who knows? We always find promo airfares here, and that's enough to push us into a plane. Anyway, hope to still hear from you.
24th September 2009

@liliram
Thanks so much for the comment. I recommend Korea to anyone, it's not necessarily on the travelers trail, but there are some amazing hidden treasures here. I will continue to keep this blog beyond our dwindling days in Korea, to wherever life takes us, so we will definitely be in contact. Thanks for following, and do let me know if I can ever help you in your travels. Be well!
30th September 2009

Lance
Great picture of Lance and Jon!!! You guys are gonna miss each other:( Listened to some of the suggested music very classic pop.:)

Tot: 0.195s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 14; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0956s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb