Korean Blog-abration #1: No Rae Bang (Karaoke Rooms)


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Gyeonggi-do
September 11th 2009
Published: September 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
So we’re back, another awesome vacation abroad finished, and we had a pleasant surprise waiting on our phone when we arrived at the airport… more vacation! Yes, while we were gone, the Korean ministry of education issued a mandatory one week quarantine for any teachers that traveled out of the country, a precaution for the H1N1 flu virus. Since we arrived the night before we were to go back to school, (and are totally healthy) that means we had one more week vacation… yippee!

What we didn’t realize, was that we weren’t the only ones on quarantine, the majority of the teachers in town were in the same boat! Without giving us any direction, or further instructions regarding how to behave on quarantine (other than don’t go to school) we all used the time to do a bit of celebrating (in fact some people went to Everland and Lotte amusement parks… our little secret). I'm also right in the swing of things as the contributing editor of theexpeditioner.com . It's super fun finding and sharing different and random travel news I find. Go check it out if you haven't already, I've been posting for two weeks-ish alread... boy time really does
4 NonBlondes4 NonBlondes4 NonBlondes

literally... singing the 4 non-blondes song "What's up?" anyone remember that one? It's a noraebang classic here
fly, doesn't it?

While we were gone, both our schools totally remodeled the English rooms, almost to a point of excess. They are totally gorgeous, don’t get me wrong, but all of my nearly ten years in and around teaching (including studying in college) screams, “what’s the point?” The drastic improvements, and large investment, in both of our rooms really won’t have an equal outcome in terms of academic gains. It’s nice to project my computer onto a touch board versus having it displayed on a 50 inch flat screen (that’s exactly what happened) and it’s nice to have a brighter, cleaner room with actual desks, but the teacher in me would like useful resources and supplements that will add to the curriculum and overall quality of education. Yikes, that was a bit of a rant, sorry, but this seems to be a lopsided dilemma we’ve seen on numerous occasions in the Korean education system- style over substance.

We only have roughly one more month in Korea, and from here on out, we will be sporadically saying goodbye to the good friends we’ve made while over here. The first round consisted of Jason/Rachel… then John/Sarah… and most recently
Hail to the KingHail to the KingHail to the King

Steve "This is the Dream" Mortimer honoring Elvis with all he has
Tom. It is never easy saying goodbye when you don’t know when the next time you will be able to see these people, but I like to focus on the good fortune that we’ve had in having our paths cross with these wonderful people. There is also a sense, with almost everyone, that these goodbyes are not really final, more a see you later. At least we can hope.

Something a little crazy happened yesterday... Cass and I were wandering around the blog, as we do a lot, and found one of our first entries exactly a year ago. I wrote that we were waiting to get our visas and were excited about the prospects of heading off to Korea. It took me aback a little... so, so much can happen in one short year. Where I sat, as a person, one year ago, and where I am today is staggering. I suppose you could do this at any point in your life, it's just easier looking back at the blog and our documentation of this amazing experience. One year... truly mindblowing, if you think of it.

With things winding down, and all this free time on my hands of late, I was struck with the idea of having the next few blogs celebrating the best/interesting/memorable of what we’ve experienced in Korea, hence the “Blog-abration” title. These will also be cool reflection of our time here, perhaps a bit of cultural reflection and lessons, and a great way to sift through our zillions of pictures to share and help the celebration reach it’s fullest. So, these next few updates will not only consist of informing you of our ongoings, we will be showing you everything that makes Korea as beautiful as we’ve found it to be.

Introducing…

Blog-abration Pt.1: No Rae Bang (Karaoke Rooms)



To break it down for you, it’s a bedroom sized room, two to four mics, a few tv screens, disco lights, and hundreds of songs to choose from (billions if you know Korean). It’s a great concept. There are degrees of quality of Noraebangs also, from shady (remember that one in GyeongPo Beach?), to luxury, where we went in Seoul last weekend. Some serve drinks, while others we have learned to smuggle in, some have better selections than others. Everyone is there for a good time, dancing like a fool,
Cass and TomCass and TomCass and Tom

On Tom's one of Tom's last nights in Korea, he requested a Noraebang- awesome
singing your heart out to songs you either barely know (In Da Club), Classics (Sherry… Sherry, baby) or ones that send your mind reeling back into the good ol’ days (Informer). It’s poetry in motion… poetry, with some disco lights involved.

One must always beware of the dreaded tambourine finger. Much like tennis elbow, this happens when the user gets a bit out of sorts using the tambourine inside the noraebang. First, it’s a little uncomfortable, then a blister, progressing to a scab, then finally bleeding… perhaps all in the course of one song, if you’re lucky.

The comeraderie, the singing, the dancing, the goofiness, the good times... this is one aspect that Cass and I know for a fact we will miss terribly once we return home… I’m sure you’ve already figured that out! Enjoy the pics and the videos!



Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

My Vice Principal giving it all she's gotMy Vice Principal giving it all she's got
My Vice Principal giving it all she's got

Going to the noraebang with Koreans in a completely different story, they go all out, snacks, drinks, dancing, silliness... It's an event!
My school staffers!My school staffers!
My school staffers!

It just seems like the artists making Korean music do so with the Noraebang in mind... almost all of it is sooo much better to sing and dance to than... Zepplin?
SearchingSearching
Searching

Shawna and Cass search the English songs fervently... this is how you spend maybe 30% of noraebang time- in search of the perfect song to get your friends rocking!
The gearThe gear
The gear

Jonny G not only sings an awesome Neil Diamond, but he dresses the part... viva Noraebang!
LuxuryLuxury
Luxury

The luxury noraebang in Seoul has window rooms on the 2 and 3 story- we scored one- not knowing it was a 2 story noraebang! How cool is that?
TypicalTypical
Typical

everyone partakes no matter how well or not well (more the case) you know the song
A View from the topA View from the top
A View from the top

Atop the upper deck
The Lux from the outsideThe Lux from the outside
The Lux from the outside

Windows to the world, it was a special night- we had so many Koreans stop and see what the silly waygookins were doing in the window!
The victory shotThe victory shot
The victory shot

The crew after our time ran out... everyone's winners at the luxury noraebang
Sonny and CherSonny and Cher
Sonny and Cher

I won't lie.. we've gotten to be quite the duet-ters...
Noraebang tribute to MJNoraebang tribute to MJ
Noraebang tribute to MJ

It's surprising how easy it is to sing Michael Jackson...
PowerstancePowerstance
Powerstance

I'm not sure if this particular note is out of both of our ranges, or if we are truely singing from the heart on this on... good work Lance


13th September 2009

Pop Quiz!
on the panorama picture on the top of the blog... *** Name that song title and artist!

Tot: 0.364s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.2901s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb