Lunar New Year


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Seoul
January 30th 2006
Published: January 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

This weekend was Lunar New Years in Korea and all over Asia. During these three days, Seoul comes to a grinding halt as most Koreans leave the city to visit their relatives in the country. On this holiday the grandchildren preform a ceremony paying respect to their elders. This nice little ceremony pays off, as they get fat envelopes stuffed with cash in return. One kid at my friends school got 1 Million Won last year ($1,000). Now thats a Happy New Year!

The New Year is also alot more than that. The Urbanites get to visit their roots outside the big city, visit with family and eat traditional food. I went with some friends to a palace to soak up some culture. Alot of Korean families dress they're little girls up in the han-bok, a traditional Korean dress and go out to the temples and palaces to celebrate. They had some old games, fortune tellers (which are very popular in Korea), and a long rope for tying your New years wish to.

Also, New Years in Korea seems to be a really generous time. On Friday our boss decided to celebrate by ordering a huge Chinese feast, and a huge jug of Carl Rossi (making for some interesting classes). In the stores and on the subway everyone is carrying huge giftsets they give to friends and coworkers. The favorites seem to be liquor, fish, soap and the most coveted, Spam.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0739s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb