Month 2.


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Seoul
November 16th 2005
Published: November 16th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Colin writes:
So we haven’t written anything in awhile… I suppose that is a sign of us acclimatizing to the surroundings.....not as much new to report. Of course it could also be that we are becoming lazy (of course by ‘we’ I mean ‘me’).
Actually, we have nestled into our day-to-day pattern of work and evening routines just as we would at home. Ie.Workouts, movies, DVD yoga routines (yeah right) and reading.

We still venture out on the weekends, however the 45 minute subway ride has started to become less exciting...especially when you are standing the whole time. Recently we took a trip to Namsam Park, a large green area smack dab in the middle of the city. It is where the tower is (not unlike Calgary tower). It was a beautiful fall day with amazing colors in the leaves.

We are getting a big kick out of the very things that have become ‘normal’ and common place now:
• girls wearing high heeled shoes and little mini-skirts to ‘hike’ at the park. Skirts are especially amusing now that its below 10 degrees Celsius.
• all the delivery dudes racing around on their scooter bikes with baskets on the
Tennis anyone?Tennis anyone?Tennis anyone?

You see old men playing tennis (without nets) anywhere there is space. This is a park area on the hike up to the tower.
back. They hardly decelerate before they go through red lights . As well, you have to watch out for them on sidewalks. Actually, even cars go up on sidewalks if they can.
• Fish filled tanks outside the restaurants….I especially like the silly ones who swim upside down. Funny fish.
• All the men spitting everywhere. You have to watch your step.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

MonlolithMonlolith
Monlolith

Translation: "No Parking"....though I'm not sure.
Beautiful and beautifulBeautiful and beautiful
Beautiful and beautiful

Easy to tell who took the camera that day?
Plenty of redPlenty of red
Plenty of red

Seoul tower in the background. The 'hike' up was actually just a lot of stone steps. Very nice though.
Seoul CitySeoul City
Seoul City

This smog was not too bad actually.
Laid BackLaid Back
Laid Back

This is rare...he's stopped. Actually he did end up going through the light.
This IS a sidewalkThis IS a sidewalk
This IS a sidewalk

Actually, he did come to a stop as well...about a meter from me.
Pure SeoulPure Seoul
Pure Seoul

Ok...not much of a pic, but we wanted a souvenir. Firstly, its Saturday (yes they go to school 6 days a week). Secondly, no matter the age, if they stop for more than 3 seconds...the cell phone comes out.. Thirdly, the Seoul uniform: knee socks and Pumas everywhere.
Kristy Kristy
Kristy

shoe shopping


16th November 2005

안녕하세요
Good to see that you are both enjoying everything that makes Korea so amazing. I noticed that you are missing out on one big piece of the culture however, you need to drink Soju when you eat Korean Food! :-)
16th November 2005

Canadian envies weather conditions
Once again, awesome pics! So nice to see sunshine and color in the background...we're waking up to frosty skies in Edmonton, so live it up, people! ;)
16th November 2005

Finally!
Geesh, I was starting to go into withdrawal without an update from the "Seoul mates". The trees are absolutely gorgeous. I'm totally going to miss fall!
12th December 2005

Blog for New York...?
I enjoy your blog so much makes me want to set one up for New York. Trouble is I can't sit still long enough to do it - too much to do and see!
15th December 2005

Hi there, I just came across your journals while browsing (killing time @ work). I'm a Korean-American living in Washington DC and it is awsome to see you guys enjoying life in Korea. I admit there are some rude people and things that may seem weird, but Korea is a fun place. Enjoy your time there and hope you guys leave Korea with good memories.

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb