Ice, snow and mechanical bulls


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Seoul » Seodaemun-gu » Sinchon
January 29th 2007
Published: February 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post


Click on the film reals to the left to see some of our movie magic.








Ah, January…Korea’s coldest month and the perfect time to partake in some snow- and ice-induced fun.


First up came a Subzero evening - a bar in the cool HongDae area of Seoul. EVERYTHING is made of ice (minus the floor, much to Mel’s relief)…the walls, the chairs and tables, the candlestick holders, the artworks and sculptures, the bar and even the glasses. Upon entry we each received a very regal silver poncho, which we wore over everything we needed for the already subzero temperatures outside. Being the only guests meant that we weren’t shy about burning up the dance floor to stay warm.


As it turned out, the weekend we chose to try skiing (the third time ever for each of us) was a very mild one. Just as well, considering the amount of time Mel spent sprawled awkwardly in the mostly fake snow and the amount of moisture her pants absorbed.


Gareth was a predictably natural athlete and fell over zero times in 8 hours of skiing. Ben and Kim are Canadian…enough said. Little Melly had improved bucketloads since her last attempt four years ago at the same resort, snowplough - no problem, turning left - a breeze! But heaven help her if she could make a right-hand turn! Every single time…SPLATCRASHSKID…got kinda frustrating! A couple of tantrums, some spectacular crashes into the fence and a very bruised and soggy derriere rounded off the day nicely. We were later told that if you don’t fall over you’re just not trying hard enough, which made Mel feel better.


The room we shared with Ben and Kim was positioned right between two slopes and had underfloor heating…making for a cosy, pleasant evening’s entertainment watching people wipe out until well past midnight.


A final January outing was a return visit to one of our favourite jjimjilbangs. A five storey sauna/bathhouse/mass sleeping room, complete with ice room and mechanical bulls. Nothing better to warm those winter chills away!


Don't forget to leave a comment by clicking the "add comment" link under the photos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

BricksiclesBricksicles
Bricksicles

Everything was ice - including this wall!
Aussie shop in ItaewonAussie shop in Itaewon
Aussie shop in Itaewon

Dude making the pies is apparently the ex-drummer from Choir Boys. How occa!
"What do I do with this?""What do I do with this?"
"What do I do with this?"

An unimpressed Canuck
After a long day of skiingAfter a long day of skiing
After a long day of skiing

Check out the view from our bedroom window - Nice!
JjimjilbangJjimjilbang
Jjimjilbang

24 hour soaking, sweating and occasional sleeping
I'm in heavenI'm in heaven
I'm in heaven

What is she reading?


9th February 2007

Mechanical Bull????
Are you sure that was a mechanical bull and not a prop for some weird porno movie?
26th February 2007

Cool blog!
Thanx for sharing about the ice bar. We moved to Seoul and I love finding cool intresting things to see and do. I think I found one on your blog!!

Tot: 0.298s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 21; qc: 98; dbt: 0.0984s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb