Bus Tour - Last Day


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Gangwon-do » Wonju
August 11th 2016
Published: August 13th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Today is last day of bus tour.

First stop was Yeongwol where King Danjong was exiled by his Uncle. King Danjong became King at age 12 when his father (son of King Sejong*) died at age 22.

*King Sejong or King Sejong the Great is one of the best known figures in Korean history. He created the Korean language, hangul, and during his reign, Korea saw much stability and growth. He is the man on the 10,000 KRW bill.

Lunch was good with an assortment of pretty much everything from fish, to meat to vegetables. But you had to sit on the floor again. Not the most comfortable position for those who are used to table and chairs.

After lunch there was one last stop, Hanji Museum where we learned about the origins of paper and made Korean jewellery boxes.

This ended our bus tour and it was time to head back to Seoul.

As we were in Gangwon-do which is region where Pyeongchang (our hometown) is located, we were originally going to not get back on the bus after lunch, but instead catch a bus to Pyeongchang and spend Thursday night there with an aunt and uncle who still live there. However, the bus tour proved to be quite grueling and everyone was extremely fatigued so we chose to stay with the tour group and head back to Seoul. We arrived back in Seoul and checked into Brown Suites hotel (same one that we stayed in when we first arrived in Korea) around 5p.

Halahbujee laid down to rest and the rest of us freshened up before heading out for dinner. As bus tour had mostly vegetables and seafood on menu and not too much meat (yes we are making excuses!) we binged on Kentucky Fried Chicken and Subway subs. Closest thing to a vegetable was the coleslaw from KFC, which in Korea is not neon green. The Subway also doesn't have sub sauce ... or we didn't know how to ask for it as they didn't understand our request. We brought back chicken and ginseng "jook" (similar to Chinese congee) for Halahbujee.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Lunch time - Sitting on the floor is hard!Lunch time - Sitting on the floor is hard!
Lunch time - Sitting on the floor is hard!

Not polite to stretch out your legs when sitting on the floor, but no one will know if we hide them under the lunch table :)
New friends from Bus TourNew friends from Bus Tour
New friends from Bus Tour

Lady on left is Mrs. Pak from San Francisco, CA. Lady in the middle is Mrs. Chung from Denver, CO. Lady on right is Mrs. Stafford from Toronto, CA :)


13th August 2016

Rock it!
Jon: That is about the size (maybe a little larger) than the rock I brought back from Stafford Castle in England. I smuggled it out under my "jumper". (It was your grand dad's idea).

Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0649s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb