$3 - $4


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
February 9th 2011
Saved: April 4th 2024
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 1.28941, 103.85

Singapore is an interesting place it has a lot going on in different areas that seem to take little notice of each other. We are staying in an area called "Little India" which is very aptly named. Singapore also has an area called "Chinatown" too but which self respecting city does'nt? Any way little India is full of old building that show more than a hint of French influence circa early 1900's and more than a slight resemblance to areas that I encountered in Vietnam. It has numerous small clothing shops with plenty of stock but very little room for potential buyers to brouse in, curb side eateries offering all sorts of tempting and equally dispicable treats and my favourite the mechanical shop front where buy you can drive your car up on the curb and halfway into the shop while some child who is being deprived of an education uses a dodgy wheel jack to elevate your car while he changes your tyre or pulls it to pieces or both. Meanwhile on the other side of town in Orchard Rd those who's lives seem to be running on a more affluent parallel plane are on their way to Louis Vouton to buy a much needed handbag. Its not unusual in those parts of town to see a extremely well dressed young lady nipping in an out of shops while the nanny stays outside in the oppressive heat and tends to the toddlers who are already exploring their god given right to belittle the underclasses by acting appallingly towards them. In little India the narrow footpaths are overflowing with people, shrines to various dieties and stock while in Orchard Rd the footpaths are wide enough to enable you to land your private jet outside the shop so you dont have to soil your Prada shoes. The contrast extends to food also, in little India you can get a very good feed of almost anything for around $3 -$4, there is no animal or the parts that it is made up of that is spared from the pot, but over in Orchard Rd you can buy nearly the same thing in a more refined atmosphere with a more refined selection but for about 3 times the price, Im guessing that the extra money paid ensures those that are willing to part with the extra cash are doing it so that there shit dont stink.

COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

9th February 2011

Nice opening blog dude, yeah wish I was there to assist in the obligatory pisstake. Sounds like these people need to stick together more, I hope you left plenty of 'strategic chewy' for their future development.Singapore was I believe fo
unded and planned by an English businessman working for East India Co in the 18th Century. Looks like some Singaporeans continue to enjoy a fine old colonial tradition of exploitation. Sounds like a nice place to wave at as you continue moving past.

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb