Sizzling Singapore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
October 30th 2006
Published: October 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi Everybody!
Singapore is very hot and humid! Heat doesn't normally bother me unless it is hot and dry like Bahrain, but this is like good old Alabama heat in July after a rainfall. This city is probably more modern than the U.S. It is spotless and people are fined big bucks if they litter. The streets are wide and are lined with old majestic trees. The sidewalks are easily 3-4 times wider than in the U.S. Everything here is terribly expensive. We went to the Raffles Hotel where the Singapore Sling drink was invented. We ordered 2 and paid a total of $30 U.S. for them. Many of the people speak fluent English. There are some who speak Singlish, talk very fast, and are hard to understand. The women are all fashionably dressed. The guys love Ralph Lauren Polo shirts. Some of the shirts have a polo player larger than my hand. I took a picture of a guy yesterday that I will try to put on the blog. He was wearing one of the shirts.
We saw a few Muslims when we went to Chinatown. They live on the fringes of that area and have a mosque there. Chinatown was fun! We had an interesting Chinese meal there that had an Indian influence to it. Ice cream is served here in rectangular wedges between either 2 wafers or a large slice of multi-colored bread. I tried mango ice cream choosing it over flavors like red bean paste, seaweed, etc.
People here are proud to live in the city-state of Singapore. They are quick to tell you that they have been independent for 41 years. They also tell us that other parts of Malaysia are dangerous. The plants here are the prettiest that I have ever seen. We walked through the Fort Canning Park today. This was the center of the British Military Operation during WWII. They had underground rooms, tunnels, etc. It is where Gen.Percival surrendered to the Japanese iN the winter of 1942. As we walked through the park, we saw Banyan trees, huge palms, orchids, etc.
It has been fun but it is time to move on to Sri Lanka. We have a flight this evening.
More later,
Everette

Advertisement



30th October 2006

Pictures
I have been enjoying the pictures-thanks! What a kick to drink a Singapore Sling in the place where it was created! We were there in Feb. of 2005..you are right about the heat and humidity. Happy adventures!
30th October 2006

Miles and miles in a few blogs
Hello! I have missed checking your blog for a few days and it has been fun catching up this morning. It is amazing to hear the differences and miles and miles between journal entries. I completely related to your description when leaving the airport in Delhi. When we landed there many years ago I thought I was going to have a heart attack knowing that we were in India for 3 weeks, but when we got outside the big cities and traveled around I really changed my opinion. Take care! Annette
31st October 2006

Great Trip
What a wonderful trip.

Tot: 0.301s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0779s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb