Cheerio KL Hello Singapore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
October 13th 2012
Published: October 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The highlight of our last night in KL was the hunt for food. We decided to head back into Chinatown - a good decision. The place was far more vibrant than we had seen it on our previous visit which had been in the morning, far more stalls out, although how many watches and pairs of sunglasses and wallets can a tourist carry? Early evening is prime time for tropical downpours and we got one, so had to shelter from the rain whilst hugging a beer and people watching. The biggest attraction in the people watching was the pretty girl on the arm of her chap, trying out fancy handbags in the shop opposite. By the time she had finished, which took up most of the downpour, she had tried twenty bags, had got most of the bar opposite watching and commenting and had almost caused patient choppy to slit his wrists. Still, it passed the time.

As for food, we went into Tang City Food Court, a great hall full of tables and chairs in the middle with a dozen or so kitchens around the edge. The deal is that you choose your kitchen, each of which were cooking different food, you order what you think you want - or can understand from the displays, pick a table and wait for it to arrive. Whilst waiting someone from another little shop within the hall comes and sells you your beers. Brilliant experience, nothing like it at home and it all works fine, most importantly the food was fantastic and cheap.

Friday was about moving to Singapore. Train tickets had been booked online, for an express train all the way to Woodlands, Singapore. It was like being in an aircraft - well in terms of the seating and air conditioning at least. The journey was really comfortable, took 7 hours and cost £27 for the two of us. Just in case it hadn't been known, the view from the train window confirmed that there are lots of trees on the Malaysian Peninsula.

We arrived in Singapore in an absolute torrent of rain, so once through immigration procedures it was a case of out of the station and pick up a taxi. That was easy, it's all so well organised. Half an hour later we were dropped off at our hotel, no sign of rain. After resting we headed out and navigated ourselves (well bumbled) to the Marina development. Wow, what a place, full of all aspects of culture, architecture and humanity. We watched a free concert in an open air theatre, ate a lovely meal in a Thai restaurant, walked along the waterfront just gazing at the awesight illuminated buildings. Back near the hotel the side streets were absolutely humming with people, lots of fooderies and bars. Only shocker was that it cost £8.00 for two half pints of Tiger beer. Hey, this is Singapore!

The photograph is of the CBD, taken from the open air theatre in the Marina.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb