Singapore - One of the top 5 in the World


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
May 23rd 2010
Published: July 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

This visit to Singapore in May 2010 was totally unplanned & not thought of. One of my direct who was planned to visit Singapore to ovsersee one of the critical migration project, expressed his inability to gp over at last moment & I had to go.It was only a week before the planned dates, my travel was confirmed. So everything was last minute but I think I got my logistics placed well.Saturday May 15th direct flight from Mumbai to Singapore on Jet Airways & return travel on May 25th in evening. Another comforting factor was business class travel.

Vinayak came to see me off at my place & he left after saying goodbye to me at the Mumbai airport. The flight was a bit late but covered for the lost time in flight time.So I still reached in time.There was less rush in the morning when I reached. It was a coincidence but I also met one of my colleagues on the same flight as he passed by me while borading the flight. At Changi, you get first experience of Singaporian's efficiency. After the flight landed, I was thru immigration, luggage & on my way to Hotel within 20 mins. I was skeptical of M Hotel reception will allow me to check in before their official check in (They did it to one of my collagues a week before plus Singapore has one of the highest occupancy rates for hotels) but I was lucky.They alloted me a double bed on the 16th floor facing Anson Road, on their 26th floory hotel. I made myself comfortable, unwound, unpakced the bags & got freshened up. Assuming Hotel will not allow me to check in, I have already made arrangements with Pritesh (person who is migrating the function) for morning breakfast.In fact I would say that he was kind enough to invite me to his place on Park Royal apartments on Beach Road. He & his wife welcomed me to their place & did extremely good care of breakfast for me.His wife had prepared some good maharashtrian style Pohe for us. As we enjoy the breakfast, we spent some time to getting me abreast of updates on the project. Since my day -night cycle was bit skewed due to flight timings, from Pritesh's place I came straight to hotel & covered some of my sleep.

The day since morning was bit overcast & it was drizzling thruout the day.Same continued after sunset as well. Thanx to Nam, I have got my Rain gear packed so when I got up, I decided to step out.I have got some comfort around the place when I went to & fro from Pritesh's apartment. Bus 100 departing from Hub Synergy Bu stop (Opposite my hotel) goes thru to Merlion Park/Esplnade. I spent that evening reviving my memories of last visit here with Nam & also covered a visit to Esplanade which we have missed last time. As a part of Singapore's cultureal Festival,there were shows going on. I sat & watched one of them for some time before returning to Hotel.

Next day was my first day in Capital Towers which houses JP Morgan Singapore office.From M hotel, it was just 10 mins walk.My folks sit on floor 20 which is the topmost floor of the building. It was easy for me to locate where they sit. Chris Ward & Pritesh were just inn.I got introduced to Chris & then without spending much time, I started executing what I was there for ie review/understanding of functions which are being moved to Mumbai. One of my best frineds, Chirag Dhyani knew that i was coming over so he came by to say Hi but I was into something. It was only at Lunch time that we got chance to meet each other properly. Day 1 lunch was at Subway nearby. From India office or rather we indians had sizable group there.Myself, Chirag, Pritesh, Ravi, Daniel, Arpit.We chatted along as we ate & in an hours time, went to back to resume the work.That day was bit long as well. I left by 10 pm.Good thing about location of my hotel, was it has McDonald's & Seven Elevan shops just next door.That made easy choice fo food for me.I had my usual at Mac.Picked up some milk from 7/11 & went to the room.

Rest of the days in office till today ie Tuesday were thruour busy. Challenge was by the time, I finish my day in Singapore, my folks in Mumbai office will start their day.Mumbai is 2.5 hrs behind Singapore.So most of the days, there was something or other that kept me in office till late evenings. I also logged in from Hotel 3-4 times..even attened US calls.It was stressful but I was happy that I was able to kill all my tasks that way.

After some intense work in office, we all tried to have a nice evening on few days. First such day was Wednesday when we all from Mumbai office went to Clarke Quay.Its reputed to be one of the best night hangout places. Its on the banks of Singapore River & has variety of world cuisines/bars all around. We went there by bus.Had to walk for few mins but it was ok. We were looking to fix the place when we came across Hooters bar.For those who dont know, its notorious for its servicing staff. All young girls in skimpy/revealing clothes take your orders & serve you.As a group, we had great fun drinking beer & eating there.Next day our snaps with the staff made a news event for all back in Mumbai office.Some people call it a dodgy place but the crowd there was all decent.They knew their limits & nobody was misbehaving.Apprently for any voilaton of law, the punishments here are very strict & are executed fast so people here dont do things which are common in some of the other developing countries.Eg Stealing here is punishable with 7 yrs jail term. Parking on No Parking areas invites $ 2500 fine. Chirag told me that things like accidents, murders, suicides,eve teasing, stealing are as uncommon as finding snow in dubai.what they have done by doing so & maintaining it is to offer a very safe & sound culture/place for everyone to come, stay & enjoy.Its just amazing to see how each local wants to make you feel comfortable here.I remember on one of my local train travels, i was struggling o figure out which train to pick up. So I asked one of the guards standing nearby. He not only guided me but also offered me to sit on the seats there as if Iam not on train platform but in his house.Impressive!!

On Thursday, Pritesh & his wife have organised for a dinner for all from Mumbai office at his place at Park Royal suits.I wanted to see Suntec City where they have the famous Fountain of Wealth.Known as biggest fountains in the world.Pritesh knew the place so he took us there but it was a shame that it was closed for maintainance.His place was nearby, so we from there walked over to his apartments. His wife has already prepared all the food.I must say she was at her hospitable best for us that day.She has prepared 3 different vegatables, Puris, Bhajiyan,Roti, Kadhi, Rice...Not to forget Ice Cream with jelly post dinner. Not only we had variety but it was all really tasty food!!Most importantly she was particular with all to ensure that all eat well. Nobody was required to move or ask for anything.Before its over, she would add that to your plate.And for company, we had their 2 little daughters.Palak & Diya.Both were cute & mixed up very well with all of us. It was a very very pleasant evening for all of us.

Next day was Friday so all were already upbeat about having some great time. Plans started to brew up in afternoon. Finally it was decided that we go to Clarke Quay only but some other place. All was working well when we started but then it went a bit off the track.It generally happenes when you go out in big group.We were almost 7-8 of us. Few of us were booked for a moview at 12.30 midnight.On top of that one of colleagues suddenly decided to invite his wife to this all boys party. I thought it was inappropriate b'use it only resulted in delay in finding & getting a good restaurant but also made our conversations very formal.Definitely not something that you think of on a Friday evening at a place like Clarke Quay. But anyhow, we did manage to eat at a Indian joint, followed by some drinks at a Bar themed after hospital, called "Clinic".But it was all quiet & sober.

So after not so good Friday night,I wanted to ensure that my weekend..my only weekend, is good. During the week, I have zeroed down on the places that I wanted to be over the weekend so it was not that difficult for me to think where to go.A good & compatiable company always helps when you are travelling. Its not that I dont like to travel alone but in Singapore, among those bunch of folks, I thought only 1 would make a good company for me. That was Pritesh.Now Pritesh has got his familiy there;so that made it difficult for me to be with us.I havent known Ravi that well to conclude how he was for travel but as it turned out to be...He was a very good company over both the days.First thing on Saturday monring, I have already decided with CHirag & Laxmi that Iam going to be at their place for lunch. Nothing in songapore is more than 30 mins away.So that means that I would have some time to be at some other place before I go to CHirag's place. After some thought, I zeroed out on Asian Civilisation Museum.Reason 1 its on the way to Serangoon, where CHirag stays.And Reason 2 , I wanted to be there & there was no other slot that I was more suitable.

on Saturday monring, it was a bit overcast.It was drizzing so I took my rain gear with me & started by 10.30 am. Bus 100 which has a stop opposite M Hotel at Hub Synergy point takes you thru Robinson Road to Serangoon. So I boarded the first one that arrieved & alighted at Victoria Hall stop behind Fullerton Hotel.The museum is just 5-7 mins walk from there.The museum actually has a entry fee but there was a festival going on, for which they have kept the entry as free. So I saved some sing $ there!!Inside its 4 storey building with section on each community that has been instrumental in shaping up Asian society & Singapore as it is today. Being asian, I already relate to lot of it so I decided to focus on what was new to me.There were two section - One on Singapore River & how it contributed in energising the start of trading & establishment of communities in Singapore.Its interesting to note that each of big global cities today have a river that has played a big role in shaping up the future of those cities.Its the same story for Singapore as well. And not to forget, A gentleman called Stamford Raffles, the British Governer who landed in Singapore in early 1800's has laid the roots of what Singapore is today. The section on Singapore River talks a lot about both these.So that was interesting.Luckily for me, they also had a exhibition on Mughal Dynasty put up there. They have exhibited a lot of their ornaments, arms to showcase how Mughals were artistic in their social functioning. It was ok for me as Iam not a great fan of this Dynasty but I do liked what I read their each of their Kings starting with Babar till Aurangzeb.While reading that, a local lady approached me to help her fix the malfunctioning of her camera thinking that Iam local as well. I did tried to help but ultimately she managed to fix it on her own. But the convsersation with her was interesting!!It was also amusing for me to be interviewed when I came out of the Museum, by some school children , for their project on Singapore, with video camera on. I hope my clip will be showcased in their schools!!

From there after seeing what I wanted to see, I went back to same bus stop & picked up same Bus 100 to go to Serangoon. The journey is rather long..thanx to the route but finally I reached Serongoon after almost 45 mins of bus travel. I bought some watremelon to gift them, since I was going there for the first time from a Chinese vendor near their building.Asked for directions to few folks & managed to find out his building. In Singapore, majority of hosuing projects are owned by Govt body called "HDB - Hosuing Development Board" ..like Mhada in Mumbai.But I must say, quality of their constrction would put some of the best builder's constrcutions in Mumbai to shame.Chirag & Laxmi has a 3 bedroom apartment on the 15th floor of that building.Its huge & spacious.And like his last apartment, they have maintained it very well as well. The moment I stepped inn, they both started talking.They both are fond of that I knew. And I enjoyed it as well. We talked on variety of topics, right from JP Morgan, credibility of its CEO's, who is who & who is Jamie's successor to How is Mumbai doing as a HUb for FInance, what Singapore offers, local culture, food..almost anything.Though between Chirag & Laxmi it was a bit lopsided in Chirag's favour in the beginning, later on it balanced out as Laxmi joined us after finishing her home chores.He showed his latest collection of postal stamps & Currency Notes from all over the world, some snaps.It was intersting & encourgaing at the same time to see how he has managed to maintain his interest in spite of being in the same profession as me.In our chat, we never realised how time flied.Chirag prepared some good tea for us, on my request.We had it standing on his balcony, enjoying the view of Singapore skyline.It was memorable!!In the evening they had plans with their friends to watch Movie "Kites".It was slated at 7.30 pm so we started to get ready towards that. In the meantime, he showed me something completely amuzing.He showed a Virtual game played on TV , called "Nantando Wee". We played tennis but God, it was one hell of a game.It has a sensor & reads your actions & refelcts accordingly on the TV screen. You can play it with another or with system.That experience almost made me start thinking seriously about buying that & may be I will some time in future.But Its worth having in collection.

On the way to the Movie, they dropped me on Beach Road. I have already made arrangement with Ravi to go to Sentosa that evening.After some confusion, we did met where we had decided.So what was on the cards, was Song of the Sea Show & visit to Sentosa Casino.I was keen on first & Ravi on second.We stopped at my hotel to pick up my passport & then took cab to reach Sentosa.There are 2 daily shows of Song of the Sea.By the time we reached there, it was time for 2nd show to start.We ran & tried our best to catch it but our bad, the show was housefull. As a compensation for that, since we were on the same Pallwan Beach, I guided him to one of the small islands there, known as "Southernmost Point of Continental Asia". I had been there in my last visit.So I knew.Now we were hungry.There were not much of choices available. We opted for the nearest to what we can digest.I had a pizza & tea at Bread Talk opposite the Casino.Casino is not far from there..just a few steps.Now whats intersting to note here is, entry to Casino for locals is charged at Sing $ 100 but foreigners its free.Reason, they dont want locals to gamble & lose money. They want foreigners to do that for them.Quiet thougtful!!Inside, its a fairly big Casino, with section for Smoking & non Smoking.I had no intentions of playing anything but Ravi had.The challenge however which we realised is most of the games they were playing, we were unable to relate.Only games which appeared familier were Roulette, Blackjack & Slot MAchines.As expected, you had all the old people occupying the seats there.Chinese I understand are srious gamblers & they were, we found. When Ravi tried to occupy one of the empty slot machine seats, a lady came hurridely to disallow him.She wanted that seat badly.Ravi did tried staking Sing $ 2 but I think on all those machines, minimum stakes were of $ 10.So after a visual experience we decided to pull off & head back to hotel. Ravi dropped me to the Hotel but not before deciding that we will meet again next day morning & cover Botanical Gardens & east Coast Park.

Next day on Sunday morning, I got a little late.I struggled to get hold of Ravi on phone but finally somehow managed.Since it was a bit late, I changed the plans at last minute & decided to go to Mustaff Market first followed by Botanical Gardens & East Coast Park in evening.And it turned out to be really effective. I not only got a chance to buy whatever I wanted to from Mustaffa but we also ate a good indian Joint, called Raj Restaurant, opposite Mustaffa.From there we hired a cab to go to Singapore Botanical Gardens. It a green belt within Sinapore city, where they have attempted to maintain the local nature/trees/flowers in their original form. Once you are inside, you feel like you are in a national Park but interesting to note that its barely 10 mins away from mainstream city areas.I could relate my experience here to the one that we had at Phipps COnservatory in Pittsburgh.They have 7-8 sections focussing on seperate things.Though we manage to cover only half of it,it was a good enjoyable & realxing experience after a good meal.Its just amazing to note that how SIngaporians have managed to have almost evrything that a good city should have for its citizens in such a small geographical area!!

After spending good couple of hours there, we moved out to go to East Coast Park.We have never thought that thats going to be the most exciting time of the day.East Coast Park is a beach on the northern side, near Changi airport, where they have all kind of fun activities set up.Apart from usual cycling, walking on the beach, you can go fishing here, you can have Barbeque, there are small apartments available for hire overnight, there are water sports,pubs, restaurants.In short, its a good spot for spending time with entire familiy.Walking in Botanical Gardens has consumed a lot of what we ate at noon. So before we start another physical activity, we thought its prudent to eat again.We patronised Mac again.This time outside Badok interchange.Bus 401 took us to the Park.Its a kind of place which immediately appeals to you. We wanted to do cycleing but it was bad that we alighted a bit away from where the Cycle rentals were available.SO we had to walk a bit, ask a few folks, before we were able to locate the rental shop. At $ 4 per hour, we hired 2 bikes.East Coast Park has a 12 km long strech for cyclists.We started at 6.30 pm & manage to complete almost 90 % of it.It was really exciting & great fun. You dont typically get to do this in India that often.Reminded me of the fun we had in Ohiopyle National Park in Pittsburgh in Sept 2009 with Amey.Exciting but at the same time, exhausting.After an hour, we handed over the bikes to owner & took the same route to get back to Hotel.

Next day morning, it was office as usual.Finished up some of the important stuff before winding up for the day. Since it was last evening available, we planned a drinks with Chris. Chris Ward took us to his neighbourhood for a good British style Restaurant & Bar.We talked on variery of topics but mainly travel.Chris is a avid traveller & has travelled to 47 countries so far!! Thats a passion to match with!! he believes in simple living. Money thus saved, he uses for his global travel.His view on life is clear. " Make Hey while Sun shines" Quiet a guy!!

That night & next day morning I packed up my stuff for return. My flight was in evening so decided to cover as much as I can of remaining targets that day. Around 4 pm, I have booked a cab from M Hotel. It arrieved in time & within 45 mins I was at Changi in their Business lounge waiting for gates to open for my flight to Mumbai.

Overall this time, I was at ease in Singapore.Hence enjoyed a bit more.There was no rush. Had great company.Some old frineds, which made it memorable. In the course of a week or so, I had many enjoyable moments but top ones that I would like to suggest to fellow travellers to Singapore are -

1) Cycleing at the East Coast Park near Changi. $ SGD 4 for an hour for sports bike! Fantastic for lazy or adventurous weekend.
2) Evening out at Clarke Quey with frinds - Choice of global cuisine. Best of East & West. (Drink at Hooters by the river, if you are keen on some spice!!)
3) Night at Sentosa / Marina Bay Casino . For visitors the entry is free,for locals they charge SGD 100 !!
4) Shopping at Little India - Mustaffa is clear favourate.
5) Evening at Merlion Park & nearby Esplnade. Watch the shows at Open Theatre by the river.
3)


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0256s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb