just got moved in...


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
April 30th 2010
Published: April 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

ok, well as some of you already know, I have moved to singapore. Im going to be posting pictures and updates here instead of facebook because I do not want everyone who can see my facebook entries to know that I am in singapore. so, for those of you who didnt already know, I decided to move over here and try to find some meaningful work- and also it helps that Lavi is here too!

So, we have rented a room in what is called an HDB flat. Basically, the singapore government builds these buildings full of three bedroom apartments, then sells them essentially at cost to young couples and families- who then often rent out the individual rooms to people looking for cheap housing. We arent near city center- but singapore has such a great network of public transport that city center is 30 minutes and about S$2.80. We share our apartment with a filipino family, and one other filipino guy who will soon be bringing his family out- when the other guy's family leaves. the apartment is pretty reasonably sized, and our roomates very nice, so things arent feeling cramped at all (especially after living in hawaii-we are used to sharing apartments)

I have to say the prices here are really great. And no, im not being sarcastic- things here are remarkably cheap.... i bought chicken meat yesterday in a supermarket for 2.35 for a half kilogram, or about oh, 1.75 US per pound. Quite a big difference from the $5-7 US per pound we were paying in hawaii. and you know, in any other part of southeast asia, you could say as lavi does 'well you cant convert, because people here arent making US wages, and arent being paid in USD' but here, people are making wages at least comparable to the US. it means that as long as you dont decide to pay your left arm to get a car here, you will probably have a reasonably higher amount of disposable income.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

new casino- marina bay sandsnew casino- marina bay sands
new casino- marina bay sands

this is actually owned by the las vegas company that owned the sands in las vegas
our roomour room
our room

yep, this is our room.. note the kids room decor- hey we are the youngest ones in the apartment so i suppose its fitting
HDB flatsHDB flats
HDB flats

this is a view out our door, all of these are hdb flat buildings, we are on the 6th floor


30th April 2010

Very cool Dan
Thanks for sharing...look forward to hearing and seeing more and all my best to you and Lavi!
1st May 2010

hi
Dan Everything looks so clean. Wow! Is it true that you can't chew gum there? ME
3rd May 2010

yep, thats definitely true, its a $1000 fine if you are found chewing gum. In fact, Im told that its a $10,000 fine and up to a year in jail for trying to import chewing gum.

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb