Singapore Slung


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
March 10th 2006
Published: March 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Singapore is only 100 miles north of the equator which is kinda cool cuz it makes the climate stable. If you take a look at one of those annual climate charts, each month shows the same bar. What sucks is that it's stabled around hot. When you get off the plane it feels like someone just dumped a bucket of pudding on you with which you're forced to walk around the rest of your stay. But it's a cool place. I really liked it as it's very clean (I think Michael Fay's swollen caned ass can vouch for that) and very chill.

I got a rise after seeing Taco Bell for the first time in half a year but then scanning the menu I noticed there's no beef. The populaton is highly diverse- 77% Chinese, 14% Malay, and 8% Indian-- but I don't think 8% is enough to mess with the Taco Bell forte. It's like Starbucks not selling coffee (I'm sure that day will come). So we had sushi which was just as missed. Singapore's a lawful, civilized place which means it's not TOO fun- just comfortable. They finally did away with that chewing gum ban that made them the prudes that the entire world laughed at. But they enforce some hefty fines for jaywalking and smoking in public and that sort and you can still be executed(!) for dabbling with any controlled substances so you gotta be kosher for the most part. We didn't take part in the nightlife as it's expensive anyways so during the day just took a look at some of the history, escaped into the malls for AC and biked one day- cuz we didn't think we were sweating enough- to see Chinatown, Little India and Arab Town.

The last day after we blew our budget at the zoo (the only nighttime viewing schedule in the world-- is that right?)(not worth it) we left 6 hrs early for the airport b/c we heard it's one of the best airports in the world (recently usurped by Korea for top prize) offering free internet, spa facilities, a theater and a swimming pool. But it's only in the transit section which they don't allow you access to until only 2 hrs before your flight. Turns out the "theater" is a 50-inch TV showing HBO and the pool costs $8. But it's still better than the airport in Alexandria.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0426s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb