Singapore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
January 6th 2010
Published: January 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Singapore very tired and very early in the morning. Luckly our room was ready and we crashed for a couple of hours as we didn't get a wink of sleep on the plane the previous night. Once we managed to pull ourselves out of bed (which took considerable encouragement from Brendon's side) we venture out to the city.

The weather is lovely and hot, around 30 to 32 degrees, and one of the 1st things that you notice is that its super clean. I am sure that most people say that about Singapore, but it is really clean and efficient. The tube system is great, and even Brendon looked like a giant compared to everyone else.

We cruised the markets and wandered through China Town which was great and things certainly were very cheap, but we have realised that we have WAY too much stuff and will need to be doing a clear out of some clothes to make way for Brendon's new wide angle lense. We got it for a bargain in the end after about 45 mins of bartering.

A lot of people had recommended that we try the Chilly Crab, and we did exactly that, and boy was it amazing. Neither of us had really had crab like that before, it was so messy the waiter puts a bib on you. We still managed to get it everywhere though. We had a really nice night on the water front at Clarke Quay, and took some nice photosof the canal boats and everytyhing was lit up really nicely.



We were fading very quickly so we headed to our hotel for a early night. The following day we were feeling a bit better, but still massively jet lagged, didn't get up until bout 11:00. But then headed to possibly the best zoo in the world! Both wondering whats cures jet lag, well we didn't know, so we gave KFC a shot. Turns out it doesn't, at the time its makes u feel good, but afterwards you regret it.

So, Singapore zoo is amazing and I got trigger happy. Bit random walking around a zoo which has monkeys just wandering around, and swinging from the treetops above your heads.

Decided now that my joint favourite animal with the Okapi's at London zoo is the Asian Tapirs. They're FUNNY!.

In the evening we head out to dinner in down town Little India. We head to a restaurant which was recommended to us by the guy Brendon brought the lense from, as he was Indian and knew a good restaurant the locals go to rather than tourists (that or he had shares in the place). But either way the experience was fun. We got to eat curry with our hands, but I had to apologise to the waiter for being left handed, because according to the guide book it is rude to eat with your left hand, because thats the hand you wipe your bum with. I duno about you guys, but i tend to use toilet paper. So for those of you who don't know - thats where the phrase 'Cack Handed' came from.

Next we head to Raffles Bar in a Rickshaw bike thing (poor guy had 2 cycle about 2miles) for their legendary Singapore Sling Cocktails. Hannah had never tried one prior to this, or even knew what they were, so at this point we hoped H liked them cos @ £17.50 for a cocktail, it is alot of dollar. But at least we got a free bowl of monkey nuts, and a jazz band. The bar was cool, and still looked old school, the tradition of the bar must have been to just crush the nuts open and leave the shells on the floor. The floor was covered! But Hannah felt bad and she left a neat tidy pile on the table in front of her. So the cocktails we're amazing, and we havent been able to match them since.

Went to the Orchid farm (National park) it was a load of flowers, and 5 swans.....End of!

After this we head straight to the airport and depart for Bangkok for a month in Thailand..................
..............................

Advertisement



30th January 2010

Great stuff.
Glad to hear your're enjoying your oriental experience. Did you know during the Japanese occupation of Singapore in WWII the Japanese placed the heads of dissident locals on the steps of Raffles Hotel, sometimes 40 at a time. That Singapore sling somehow doesn't quite taste the same, does it. So glad to hear you're having a great time, hope you enjoy Thailand, the people there are so friendly, take care and looking forward to seeing you in March. Love Lindy
30th January 2010

£17.50 cocktails!
I thought you were trabelling on a budget!! Outrageous....!! x

Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb