Singapore ahoy!!


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
November 9th 2004
Published: November 9th 2004
Edit Blog Post

Well, after the months of planning and work (actually not so much planning), we were packed(ish) and ready to head to Glasgow airport. A wee drinky there, where Ross got emotional about his last pint of Tennants and the mummies just got emotional. With mounting excitement we wandered through to the departure gate, only to turn back round and come when Ross realised he still had his penknife in hhis pocket. We cunningly solved this problem by buying an envelope and posting it back home. With that done, we could finally head to the security checks and be on our way.
The flight from Glasgow to London was pretty uneventful, save for the excitement of getting fed, (mmmm British Airways), though there was some mild concern regarding the fact that we only had an hour and a half to change terminals to catch the flight to Singapore. The true heaviness of our rucksacks was fully realised as we sprinted through Heathrow airport, arriving at the terminal and meeting Scott and Euan, about an hour and a quarter before our flight was called.
The lovely people at BA and Quantas had organised us so we were sitting in the middle of the plane, with our seats together in a row of four. Much excitement ensued as we opened our "travel packs" discovering eye masks, a little baby toothbrush, and most exciting of all - a pair of fetching blue BA socks. More exciting than that though was the little tv on the back of the seat in front, showing lots of different channels, providing us with a variety of movies. As the free wine was passed around, it was decided that we could maybe skip the holiday part and live on the plane?

The drama continued when we arrived in Singapore, checking out the metro cards and making our way to the hostel. Despite the flight being 12 hours long, due to the crazy time changes, it was nearly 24 hours after we'd left, making it early evening and getting dark. It was still impressively hot, and we were most relieved that we'd had the sense to find a hostel with air conditioning. It would also appear that the weight of a rucksack is directly proportional to how hot and humid your immediate environment, leaving us most concerned about carrying them round Australia.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0379s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb