Movies, Beer and Vanilla Ice


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
November 7th 2003
Published: November 7th 2003
Edit Blog Post

By now I am used to life in Singapore - no more getting lost - Hurrah!! It really is quite a nice city, the underground or MRT works amazingly well, the traffic flows and the place is incredibly clean. On the Wednesday, I explored, managing to find hundreds of enormous shopping centres. There seemed literally to be a mall on every street corner, if not more. It's surprising how much time accidently walking into two or three of these takes up, they are so large -before I knew it the afternoon had come. So had the rain. Torrential rain. This wasn't so bad though, as it gave me the opportunity to get to know everyone else in the hostel. Stories of travel and places new really gave me a boost, and made the idea of travelling so much better. On the spur of the moment - with little else to do in the rain - we decided to go and see the third Matrix film. Ambitious, yes, as it was the premiere. Yet two hours before the film we managed to get tickets, and there was not an imitation Morphius or Neo in sight. Only hitch was, that in one of the final scenes the sound cut out, and only those who could read Chinese subtitles or lips would ever know what was said. Cayenne the American was in a fit, but he seemed the sort who would watch it a thousand times anyway.
The following day I visited the tourist sites - Little India district, Chinatown - which wasn't that much more Chinatowny than the rest of Singapore, and the Merlion, the symbol of the city. Interesting to see, but again time just disappeared. By this time, I felt I had been in Singapore long enough - a day or two seemed like a lot longer - as had everyone in the hostel except Michael. So, naturally, we decided that it was the right night to sample what Singapore had to offer in terms of night life. It was a great night out, but alcohol in the city cost as much as at home, and more once 'Happy Hour' was over. And the music??! Vanilla Ice!? Afro Man!? I thought that I'd left all that behind!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb