Singapore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
July 8th 2005
Published: March 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Trip to Singapore


Our flightOur flightOur flight

Our longest flights to one destination started with our flight to Frankfurt...
Our vacation always seems to start with a sigh... "how long is it going to take us?"
However, Singapore seemed to be a natural choice ever since Michelle and Darren moved there beginning of the year 2005. July is normally not our month to travel, especially with knowing that it's going to be unbearably hot in Singapore; however, with our school schedule, we knew that if we didn't go now, we wouldn't be able to go anywhere for a while.

We went to Singapore via Frankfurt. After first 7 hour flight, we were already beat.
However, second flight from Frankfurt to Singapore, 14 hour flight, got us thinking, "this is furthest poing we have ever been to." Also our second flight was full, so we didn't have room to stretch. Cute and accomodating Singapore Airlines' flight crew didn't help that point.

After long and long flights, we finally arrived in Singapore, early in the morning.
Going to one of the most strict countries, we were nervous about even bringing in allowed amount of alcohol.
After going through airport, getting into a cab, driving through a beautiful road... we arrived at my sister's place, the most beautiful place I have
Brunch BuffetBrunch BuffetBrunch Buffet

Come to Singapore very hungry...
evern seen...

Yes, it was hot, but having a swimming pool helped.
After unpacking, we went to a hotel brunch buffet, which seems to be a hot item in Asia.
This buffet had free champagne... which was the favorite part of it for Christoff.
I think Christoff finished about 5 bottles by himself.

The same night, Darren arrived from the U.S. and next morning we were off to Bintan, Indonesia for a day trip.
Bintan was nice but there was more to be desired. All of us who are normally into hanging out with locals and eating local food whenever we are travelling, this giant resort place was just a pretty place look at. It was nice, though, to get away for a day.

After we got back from Bintan to Singapore, our stay in Singapore mostly consisted of eating and shopping and eating some more. I would recommend everyone to come to Singapore very very hungry. From Chinese food to Indian food, everything that we ate was so good. From hotel restaurant meal to hawker center meal, Singapore is a place to EAT!
Especially for Christoff and I, food is very important to us. We could
Bintan, IndonesiaBintan, IndonesiaBintan, Indonesia

Christoff, who hates island-vacation, actually liked Bintan. A day away from a city was nice, though.
go to the most beautiful place, but if food isn't good, we would never go back to that country. With Singapore, even if there is nothing to do there, we would totally go back just for food. Hawker centers and food courts were just amazing and everything was very much affordable.
Singaporean Ice and Chilly Crabs were amazing plus Indian food was great.

Shopping? This was a bad idea... 😊
Living in NYC, I rarely shop. I am completely turned off by shopping at home just because everything is so expensive.
But in Singapore? First of all, everything fit plus everything was well-made and affordable.
I bought 2 pairs of shoes for USD30!!!
I was even able to find something that fit Christoff, which is normally a problem when we are shopping in Asia.

I just wish Singapore was closer... I would probably go every other weekend 😊
Having family there is always a good thing - I will always have a place to stay...
Singapore became one of my favorite place in the world...








Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Bintan, Indonesia, with sistersBintan, Indonesia, with sisters
Bintan, Indonesia, with sisters

Not having family close by is always hard, but times like these always make up for it.
Lau Pa SatLau Pa Sat
Lau Pa Sat

One should come to Singapore with empty stomach... Lau Pa Sat is supposed to be the most well-known hawker centers in Singapore - we found out after the fact.
Orchard RoadOrchard Road
Orchard Road

Shopping??? I don't even like shopping normally, but I couldn't resist...
Grocery Shopping?Grocery Shopping?
Grocery Shopping?

As I couldn't resist shopping for my clothes, Christoff couldn't resist buying all kinds of hot sauces...
Clubbing in Singapore?Clubbing in Singapore?
Clubbing in Singapore?

Singapore turned out to be a happening country!!! I was able to convince Christoff to stay one more day in Singapore, so that we could go out and check out Friday night club scene :)


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb