Hellloooooo Civilisation


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
December 7th 2005
Published: December 9th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Well 4 weeks in now and having returned to Delhi via another overnight train we left India for Singapore... a welcome change. It is hot and wet here causing a constant sweaty nutsack and etreme sandal wearing. (just for andrew i would add) .

First thing we did was eat some food without washing our hands in bleach first - red meat and burgers have featured high in our diets over the last 2 days alongside chocolate and ice cream. We feel like someone is about to take all food away so best eat in case we never do again!

Singapore is a beautiful city and it has felt a little bit like coming home. Immaculately clean, all the sidewalks have plants and palm trees, loads of greenery and very friendly people. Our first experience of hostelling has been good. Mixed dorm but safe and clean and very helpful with a great atmosphere and lots of other travellers sharing their stories.

There is a beautiful river running through the centre, surrounded by tall business district skyscrapers and a mix of old colonial buildings. The zoo is out of this world - have never seen so many animals. We have done a night safari,a boat ride and of course had the obligatory singapore sling in raffles! And the SHOPPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is amazing, more malls than the eye can see - very depressed about the size of our rucksacks:-(

The one realisation that has struck in the last 2 days is that it is christmas time so happy christmas guys - hope the festivities at home are kicking off well. Although we do not expect pressies this year - donations can always be made into our accounts - ha ha! India had no mention of holidays at all and with the weather, lack pof home comforts such as calenders it felt like summer - in fact this whole trip will feel like summer i think until we get to china. But, it is really weird as it is about 32 degrees, 90% humidity and we are surrounded by christmas trees, jingles and santas - not what we were expecting!


Tomorrow we leave for Borneo to see some animals in the wild hopefully. So we are nearly 4 weeks in and all going to plan (except the budget which we blew significantly in singapore!) Both still alive and married just about. Lara's only threatened to divorce me three times, just like being at home.

Hopefully some photos will atach here soon. Sorry about the the typing - this pc has no letters left on the keys and a keyboard made for small and nimble asian fingers!

Love to everyone. We are missing you all loads. Write to us and update us with your news too - its boring talking about us all the time! We have also just realised that if you hit subscribe to this somewhere on this site you will automatically get an update email to say we have changed something on our site. Also check out our route map - this site is sooooooo cool!

andrew and lara xxxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0164s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb