A Raffles in Singapore Sling


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
July 2nd 2008
Published: July 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Checked into the Singapore 5* Hilton using my Hilton Honors points after 15 hour journey. A porter took my bag to my room and we wandered into a fully air conditioned, plumped-up-pillow kinda room. I'm thinking we've already peaked in terms of the standard of our accommodation - for a start the toilet flushes. Had a nap and went out to China town; and after a long hot walk following the Footprint guide's recommendation, we were guided to a closed shack of a restaurant in the middle of nowhere. After cursing, we wandered down the road and ate at a roadside Chinese cafe. Good food (probably dog) and good entertainment (watching the cockroaches jump across the road).

Spent today at the Orchid gardens, which were very impressive. Rob got 50,000 photos of orchids, give or take a couple. I spent a good 3 hours listening to him whinge about how he had the wrong lens/camera body/wrong flash/incorrect lighting/too much wind etc etc.

After we'd gone back to the Hilton to peal off our sweat drenched clothes, we decided to go out to for a Singapore Sling in Raffles. As you do. Walked into the place like a true tourist;
How much?How much?How much?

I'll have a beer.
ordered the drink, was shocked by the price, then sat down listening to some abnoxious Americans. Then left. Went into Little India for food, again following the Footprint's recommendation....only to find a boarded up shop. God damn you Footprint editor and your evil humour. Had some good curry in an over air-conditioned restaurant while Rob scared me about sleeping arrangements in the jungle, i.e. snuggling up with Scorpions etc. Anyway, tonight I'll settle for the duck feathered pillows - yawn.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

This has to be the photo of the dayThis has to be the photo of the day
This has to be the photo of the day

Who needs your fancy SLR.
Hot PotHot Pot
Hot Pot

Note the menu in the window - we could be in Burnley.
RafflesRaffles
Raffles

Predictable, but unavoidable.
Spot the photographerSpot the photographer
Spot the photographer

How Rob spent the entire day, in between whinging about having insufficient lenses.
Yellow OrchidsYellow Orchids
Yellow Orchids

Latin name: yellous orchidus sp.
GingerGinger
Ginger

Finally, it's acknowledged.


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb