Slinger-pore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
April 15th 2008
Published: May 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Alas our time in Singapore was a little disappointing, not only had we chosen accommodation which was really far from town but it was also smack right in the middle of the red light district. We stayed in Geylang five years ago and had some fond memories of the place so decided it would be a nice idea to go back there however it is now seedy and not somewhere I would recommend.

Our road was literally a cattle market, at night girls would line the pavement while gangs of men would walk up and down until they found one at the right price. We reckoned all the hotels were pimping the girls as conveniently they all offered rooms by the hour.

Anyhow as we had already paid for the entire stay we decided to make the best of it and headed out to Raffles Hotel for the mandatory Singapore Sling. After getting over the shock of how expensive they were we sat back and enjoyed the peacefully elegant atmosphere of Raffles.

The museum in the hotel documented the history of the place and was really interesting. Back in the 1900's you could get a P&O cruise which took in India, China and Singapore for 60 pounds! All rooms were advertised as tastefully decorated with attached bathrooms - sounds like something out of a modern day guide book.

In between the daily tropical down pours we managed to get over to china town and little india. China town was alright however as our adventures in China were still fresh in our minds we couldn't help but feel it didn't really compare to the real thing.

To get me in the spirit of india I thought I would get a henna tattoo in little india. All in all it took about 15 minutes to complete however trying to not smudge the design the hour there after took some will but when I finally peeled the hardened henna off the effect was really rather good I thought.

Having been on the road sometime now our clothes were starting to resemble good looking rags so with just three months left we decided to raise the standards and replace the tattered tee's in favour of a few more classier shirts.

With all our essentials re-stocked and the final chapter of this trip looming we are now ready for india.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

China TownChina Town
China Town

We've Seen It All Before


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 62; dbt: 0.055s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 5; ; mem: 1.1mb