A Brief Tale


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
March 12th 2008
Published: March 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

DSC02498DSC02498DSC02498

The rain!
Just a brief tale of our time in Singapore....we arrived in the pouring rain and headed to our intended hostel. The problem was they had no space for us so we spent the next 3 hours looking for a place to stay...we then had to get there in the rain...which was fun...but eventually we checked into Hive Backpackers which was pretty nice really.

We went for an explore around the area and had some yummy Chinese dinner (which cost next to nothing) we then continued our wander and saw some rather spectacular temples but we know there is better to come on our trip.

Unfortunately our hostel could only put us up for one night so the next morning we had to move again...again in the rain so we checked into the Inn Crowd which again was really nice with free eggs and bread! (pam would be in heaven with all the eggs!). We spent the majority of the day working out of plans for Asia which proved to be quite complicated with getting in Full Moon Parties, not double backing on ourselves and generally being in the right places at the right times to fly places cheaply....this ended
DSC02500DSC02500DSC02500

Raffles Hotel at night
up taking most of the day. Jon nipped out for some Indian supplies to keep us going. When we were finally finished (as much as we could be) we headed to the famous Raffles Hotel....OH MY GOD...the place was incredible - so beautiful - although the whole area and the shopping complex next door was full of English shops....Topshop and River Island anyone? We spent a good while exploring the hotel trying to pretend we were guests and drooling over the amazing food! We then went to one of the hotels bars called the long bar for a famous Singapore sling (when in Rome afteral) however they did contain a tasteable quantity of Gin and after tasting Jons I decided I could give it a miss and go for a Rasperry Sparkle instead which was delish. There were free peanuts in the bar and it didnt take us long to cotton on to the policy of cracking open your nuts and throwing your shells onto the floor! We enjoyed our cocktails (which proved to be quite expensive) and had our fill of nuts - walking into obvious jokes there I realise! before heading back to the hostel. The following morning we were due to catch our bus up to Melaka in Malaysia....

After a brief time in Singapore it is a very clean and efficient place but there isnt an awful lot to do and it is pricier than the rest of Asia so I think we are ready to move on to slightly less westernised areas!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

DSC02504DSC02504
DSC02504

A Singapore Sling in the Raffles Long Bar


Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0474s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb