The city with no sky


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
March 6th 2008
Published: March 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

When you look up in Sungapore all you see is a thousand reflections of yourself staring back from the shiny skyscrapers. I wonder if the people here have ever seen stars or if that's as strange to tehm as snow. Singapore is a clean orderly country with a fantastic subway system and strong patches of culture. I stayed in a grimey little hostel in Chinatown with a host who tried way too hard to impress. The hostel smelled very similar to a wet dog and I'm sure cleaning products would have been untouched if ever thought of. I met a British girl from Cambodia, two other Britt girls who had just come from Thailand, and two nice German guys on their way to China for a poker game. We all banded together and searched out the city sights from the enormous shopping complexes to the hole-in-the-wall Chinese noodle shops. One thing I love about the city is the organization. I had maps that made sense and it was very obvious when I crossed from Chinatown into little India. The girl from Cambodia and I tried to make our time in Singapore as cheap as possible. We ate breakfast at the hostel (there are so many competing hostels many offer free breakfast and internet) and lunch at the temple. The Buddist temple next to our hostel was fantastic, 5 stories, 3 museums and 10000 buddahs. The temple served free vegetarian meals from 12-6 everyday, but in an attempt to find the dining room we ended up setting off two alarms and being escorted out by a guard. In the eveining we asked our hostel manager where we could find a free dinner since we were trying to eat for free the whole day and rather than telling us where to go he just bought us dinner, and little gifts too (trying too hard). The next day was more or less the same with trips to little india for crushed fruit juice and little doughnuts. There was a fortune teller in Little India that we had been trying to find which is why we went there so often, plus it was cheap. That night we decided to have a night out on the town. Singapore never sleeps, if it weren't for the sun these people wouldn't be able to tell day from night. We headed out to the musical fountain, home of the famous Singapore party scene. Every club had a catch, my favorite was a club called "the Clinic" which had hospital beds and wheelchairs instead of regular chairs and the drinks were served in IV drips. We didn't stay long since we were all heading out of the country the next day, the boys to China, the girls to Indonesia, and myself to Malaysia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb