Singapore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
August 6th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I thought I should put a few photos up of Singapore. My home away from home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

The MerlionThe Merlion
The Merlion

The symbol of Singapore sitting in Marina Bay. Singapura is the Malay word for Lion City.
Esplanade DriveEsplanade Drive
Esplanade Drive

I work down this road to the left where all the buildings are...Shenton Way.
Marina BayMarina Bay
Marina Bay

Theatres on the Bay in the background.
Fountain of Wealth - Suntec CityFountain of Wealth - Suntec City
Fountain of Wealth - Suntec City

You are supposed to walk around the fountain 3 times while touching the water to give you good fortune. The four legs symbolise the four races and religions of Singapore.
Koi Garden - Suntec CityKoi Garden - Suntec City
Koi Garden - Suntec City

Suntec City is a fairly huge shopping centre. It was designed with feng shui in mind. There are 5 buildings which resemble a hand when viewed from above.
Orchard RoadOrchard Road
Orchard Road

The famous shopping road of Singapore. Goes for about 1km and has 3 MRT stations along it.
Raffles HotelRaffles Hotel
Raffles Hotel

Room rates can be up and over SGD$1000. Hence this is where I always stay when in Singapore.
Bedok Wharf - East CoastBedok Wharf - East Coast
Bedok Wharf - East Coast

One of the reasons I moved to the east was so I could go jogging on the beach. Ironically I usually go jogging north to Bedok reservoir instead. All this is man made beach from reclaimed land.
Beach on East CoastBeach on East Coast
Beach on East Coast

On the weekend there are a lot of people roller blading, riding bikes, jogging, and fishing.
Chilli Crab - Jumbo RestaurantChilli Crab - Jumbo Restaurant
Chilli Crab - Jumbo Restaurant

Chilli crab is probably the signature dish of Singapore, up there with Chicken Rice. One of the best places to have it is on the East Coast at Jumbo's.
No Signboard - GeylangNo Signboard - Geylang
No Signboard - Geylang

Another great place for crab is No Sign Board restaurant in Geylang. I prefer the pepper crab here than the chilli.
Eating frog - GeylangEating frog - Geylang
Eating frog - Geylang

Geylang is east of the CBD and is known for 2 things. Being the red light district and its food. The frog here is fantastic. It tastes like scallops.
Eating Durian - GeylangEating Durian - Geylang
Eating Durian - Geylang

There is also plenty of durian to be had at Geylang. This fruit leaves a pretty distinctive odour which can last for hours. Hence there is a fine if you bring them on the MRT.
Mattress Centre - GeylangMattress Centre - Geylang
Mattress Centre - Geylang

I thought it amusing that they'd be a mattress centre in the heart of Geyland. I guess they go through a few.
Places to go at nightPlaces to go at night
Places to go at night

Clarke Quay and Boat Quay are probably the most well known area to go out for a drink. Set along the water, it is a nice area to go for a seafood meal or a drink.
Clarke QuayClarke Quay
Clarke Quay

On the other side of where all the restaurants and bars are. You can see old Parliament house in the background.
Brewerkz - Clarke QuayBrewerkz - Clarke Quay
Brewerkz - Clarke Quay

One of the more poplular pubs in Clarke Quay is Brewerkz where they brew their own beer.
Clarke QuayClarke Quay
Clarke Quay

Singapore has the ideal weather to drink beer, however it's easy to get carried away.
Ice Bar Indochine - Clarke QuayIce Bar Indochine - Clarke Quay
Ice Bar Indochine - Clarke Quay

The IndoChine restaurant has an ice bar inside where you can go in a have a shot of vodka. It's a pretty interesting and funky restaurant.
KaraokeKaraoke
Karaoke

There are many Chinese pubs offering karaoke if that's your cup of tea or pint of beer.
Alley Bar - Orchard RoadAlley Bar - Orchard Road
Alley Bar - Orchard Road

Located in Emerald Hill on Orchard, the Alley Bar is a very narrow bar popular with tourists and locals alike.


Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0728s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb