Back in Singapore - the 3rd time


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
April 18th 2007
Published: April 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The Ice Cream ManThe Ice Cream ManThe Ice Cream Man

All around Chinatown you could get these delicious ice creams, which are cut from a block of ice cream and put in two waffles. Mango and Mint....Mh
The city

Now it is the third time that we visit Singapore, which we have grown a fond relationship to.

This time it was a more administrative visit. I had to get my Chinese visa issued, meaning to stand in the heat in a queue before the embassy opens and to figure out Chinese regulations on entry, cost etc. Surprisingly the whole process was a lot less stressful as expected. It took only 4 days and on the pick up day we didn't even have to queue! Singapore visa registration is brilliant!

In line with Chinese preparations, this time we visited Chinatown. An everso bustling and colourful part of town. Different to Little India it was more geared towards tourists, with a variety of street shops in market style, Chinese History museums, lots of copy CD's and food, everywhere you could look.

And another strike on our tick list for our visit in Asia - a tailor made suit for Ali. We just headed toward Chinatown when we just peaked into a tailors shop, with the owner - true to Indian people, with a cigarette and cup of tea in their hand, standing in
Chinese SmileChinese SmileChinese Smile

Each day we couldn't resist but snack on street stalls, such as this chinese smile, two eggs for Ali and noodles for me :)
front of the shop on the street. Unbelievable, the price, quality of texture and fitting. Within one day they had the suit and shirts ready for fitting and had only very little changes to make. Brilliant, you would never get this in Europe. I highly recommend tailoring a mens suit in Singapore! Now I am curios to see whether in Thailland or China I could get a dress tailored....

Sleepy Sam's

Again we stayed in the same hostel that we like so much in the Arab Quarter. It is a really clean hostel with dark wooden floors, free internet and the morning wake up call, from the close Mosque, calling for morning (night) prayer.

This time around we managed to get a balcony room, overlooking the tranquille shopping street but for the same price of the dorm beds. With heavy backpacks and sleepy eyes, we arrived late at night in the hostel with a note and key awaiting us. How lovely. With a happy sight we fell onto our bed and slept a wonderful night until.....

In the morning I woke up with bites all over my body. I guess it must have been
ChinatownChinatownChinatown

In all Chinatown we have visited the distinct red lamps on the street caught our eye.
around 20 bites. I wasn't happy to see them, despite to feel them itching. Grh! I thought it was Mosquitos and Ali just thought it would be women's wining. But after the next night and another 20 bites more we realised that it must be bed bugs. AH! You know the saying - don't let the bed bucks bite - this will from now on always stay in my head.
The hostel fumigated the matress but to our grievance the 3rd and 4th night we got more bites. I look like a 'Streuselkuchen' (a German cake with lots of lumps). From now on I had to cream and balm my wounds like a beaten dog, wherever we went. You can imagine how itchy it is in 35 degrees.

Anyway, wounds do heal and bad experiences are forgotten and our life time journey goes on.... now back to Malaysia, to the town Melaka at the East Coast.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Lipton TeaLipton Tea
Lipton Tea

I was impressed by the sheer size of these lipton tubs. Must be a lot cheaper in bulk :) The worker scooped the tea out into buckets (water buckets), what is he going to do with it, I don't know. Should have asked if I could have some for Ali's morning Tea.
Sentosa IslandSentosa Island
Sentosa Island

The man made island is still our favourite for a relaxation on the beach within a city. Look at those huts....man made. Well the rain wasn't man made. It is not monsoon time yet and we got soked every day.
Hostel BalconyHostel Balcony
Hostel Balcony

View out of our hostel window onto the Arabic Quarter


Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb