Travel to Singapore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
February 15th 2007
Published: February 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sibling LoveSibling LoveSibling Love

Sharing an Ipod during the City Tour
We had a very early and welcome departure from our hotel in Phuket. We had a couple of days rest, but it was time to move on. We flew on Silk Air and were very impressed by the service on the short flight to Singapore.

On arrival, I was immediately struck by the beauty and organization apparent everywhere. The airport is a well laid out facility with excellent services. Our bags actually came out promptly, all together on the carousel.

Our current digs (the Golden Landmark Hotel) make us long for our last hotel. In retrospect we did not know how good we had it. At least they cleaned the rooms in Phuket. This place is apparently a self-service operation when it comes to cleanliness. However, it is cheap and we will not be spending much time in the room.

In fact, as soon as we arrived, Adrianne, Josh and I took the obligatory City Tour. There was a tour leaving our hotel a few minutes after we checked in, so we joined without doing any research. We were packed into a minivan (no A/C) with 3 others and shuffled through various shopping opportunities, all the while being entertained by our bigoted guideā€™s rather stark views on illegal immigrants. But we did find a Starbucks. With a decent latte in hand, the rest of the tour was fine.

We ate dinner at an Italian restaurant on the Singapore River and went out to the Night Safari. This was definitely the highlight of the day. The Night Safari is the world's first wildlife park built for visits at night. The animals are viewed from a Tram as it passes by the various exhibits which are softly lit - with an almost moonlike quality. The animals are not caged, but roam free in a setting not unlike the Toronto Zoo. There was an animal show, also held in semi-darkness which was very well put together. Josh, in his exuberance to get a good seat, fell in the darkness, scraping both knees and palms - more war wounds for the journey.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0914s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb