Singapore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
December 16th 2006
Published: December 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Singapore Botanical GardensSingapore Botanical GardensSingapore Botanical Gardens

Laura in front of waterfall. Flash makes it look weird!
And boy did we arrive in Singapore in style thanks to the very classy Singapore Airlines!! The three and a half hour flight from Hong Kong to Singapore was luxury - good amount of leg room, a choice of about a million films, TV shows and gameboy games and excellent cuisine - not to mention the cute little Christmas decorations inside the plane!!

Our hostel is called 'The Hive' and once again it has everything we could want, plus some things we're not to sure about like the little lizardy type things who like to scooot up and down our bedroom wall!

As for Singapore itself, it's really nice. We both really like it! Much more different to Hong Kong than we expected - greener, far less Neon and generally less manic! Still lots of similarities though - out of our league shops and fantastically cheap and very tasty Asian food! It is also fantastically hot - about 30 degrees everyday. Have had some afternoon showers, which are actually quite a relief, especially now we have splashed out on some really granny-ish umbrellas!

We arrived on Wednesday and headed straight for a food court recommended by, our very
Singapore ZooSingapore ZooSingapore Zoo

Polar Bear. Awesome.
helpful hostel-owner, Spencer. A bit scared at first as the first few dishes we noticed were 'Stomach Soup', 'Intestines Soup', 'Chicken Feet Noodles', 'Frog Porridge' and ''Pig Trotters'! But luckily we chose well once again and are pretty sure we didn't end up eating anything weird!

On Thursday we walked for miles...and miles....and miles...through 'Little India' (which is fairly self-explanatory!), to the Colonial District (where we pretended to be very intellectual by going to the Asian Civilisation Museum!! Was really interesting, but like all good musuems - INFORMATION OVERLOAD!!!) To compensate stretching our minds so much, we went and ate some tasty food in another excellent food court! Our trek continued for a few million more miles into Orchard Road - the main posh shoppping area in Singapore. Not wishing to indulge too much, we settled on a good old beer, but managed to get completely ripped off in an Irish Pub - GRRRR - that'll teach us for going Western!

We went to the absolutely amazing Singapore Zoo! So, so cool! We saw so many excellent animals - polar bears, white tigers, orangutans, elephants, monkeys, manatees....the list goes on! The highlight was a show featuring all the
Singapore ZooSingapore ZooSingapore Zoo

Laura and Friend. Heh heh...
elephants at work and play!! The elephants were just amazing - they were so good at following what appeared to be very subtle commands given by their handlers - the sort of things that sound rubbish when described in an email, but believe us, they were brilliant!! The zoo only cages a few animals - even the tigers were only separated by a moat so you get a really good view!

And today we mostly explored Chinatown right in the south of the city. There are some really lovely quiet areas with some very traditional Chinese buildings and stunning temples. But even the more commercial parts had a really chilled out atmosphere and loads of cool market stalls to explore. Luke was collared by a very persuasive tailor who wanted to make the tall man the very best suit! He even showed Luke a copy of 'Metro' (the paper you get free on the train in London) which featured this guy and his renowned tailoring business! Luke's gonna give it some thought.....!!

So we're off to Malaysia tomorrow on a bus - a town called Melaka for our next installment. So until next time....

PS - Hope
Singapore ZooSingapore ZooSingapore Zoo

Elephant. Again, awesome.
you are all well.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

TempleTemple
Temple

Sorry it's late and we can't remember the name! Computer mucking us about something chronic...
Old Meets NewOld Meets New
Old Meets New

Chinatown in foreground and modern city behind.
Clarke QuaysClarke Quays
Clarke Quays

Very trendy and out of our league (not getting ripped of for beer twice in one city!)


17th December 2006

More great pictures and lots of info so I'm guessing Laura did most of it ! So pleased that you are having such a good time, I love zoo's that one looks amazing, lots of love Mum x
20th December 2006

Hi guys. I love those geko lizards, they're so cute. Are they the ones that you can see their internal organs through their skin?! Anyway good to hear from you. Happy Kissmas! and New Year. x Gem

Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.021s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb