Singapore Blowout


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Singapore Harbour
September 26th 2011
Published: September 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Top of the SandsTop of the SandsTop of the Sands

Views of the city from the top of an $8 billion hotel/casino project.
Our last week in Singapore coincided with the Singapore Grand Prix Formula 1 race, which is raced through the city streets on a circuit that runs through downtown, at night. The city really came 'alive' that whole week, and it was a lot of fun being out and about.

One of the nights me and one of the guys went to this club located in an old power station, to check out the scene for the F1 weekend. The place was packed, but the one thing we noticed was that we were the only white people there.

It's not like I haven't been in that situation before, but this scene was different because it was not hostile in the slightest bit. It was hilarious. It was what I imagine an MIT freshman frat house party would be like....except there were a lot of girls present, and everyone was of legal drinking age.

There were drunk Asians everywhere. There was puke in every urinal. There were guys getting carried around by their friends because they were too drunk to walk anywhere. There were people passed out on the ground. I saw two people passed out covered in their own
Red Bulls@#!Red Bulls@#!Red Bulls@#!

Those damn Red Bulls do it again.
vomit. I saw at least one guy crying! All this in a huge complex full of big clubs where the cheapest drink was $20, in a country where prostitution is legal, but chewing gum is not. It was a brilliant beginning of the F1 weekend.

Besides the partying of an F1 weekend, there is the actual F1 racing. If you don't know what F1 is, it is basically the absolute pinnacle of motorsports, in terms of speed, technology, and money involved.

There were three days of events going on, but it was actually quite a well rounded affair in Singapore, much beyond your typical race track event. There were about 10-15 different musical acts performing each day on a few different stages located around the track. It was really an event for anyone, not just race fans. The music spanned from Linkin Park to Shakira to Boy George. We went for the racing though, and watched all of the practice rounds, qualifying, the race, and the Porsche GT-3 races. This is the third F1 event I've 'attended', and I'll definitely try to attend more in the future.

Singapore was a great time, and definitely a sight to
UFOUFOUFO

That's the Supreme Court hovering over another Gov't building.
see, but I am glad to be moving on to something new......Bali.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Main StageMain Stage
Main Stage

Linkin Park and Shakira played here--this was right in the middle of the track, on a green called the Padang, a former cricket field. In the building on the left there is a wicked club called New Asia Bar on the top floor--it's so high up that you can see Indonesia from there.
One of the Lotus carsOne of the Lotus cars
One of the Lotus cars

They went so fast that I could not get my camera to take a good picture.
Orchard RoadOrchard Road
Orchard Road

just like Newbury St.........after a few cycles of steroids
Singapore Flyer--Singapore GPSingapore Flyer--Singapore GP
Singapore Flyer--Singapore GP

The view of the track from the top of the Sands. The ferris wheel is just a little bit bigger than the London Eye.


30th September 2011

Singapore
Love hearing about your adventures in Asia! Please keep it coming. Did you feel like a giant surrounded by so many short people? This is how I felt in Portugal; like an Irish Amazon. :-) Can't wait to hear about and see pictures of Bali. Stay safe! I can't help but wonder if prostitutes in Singapore are allowed to chew gum. Hmmm...
30th September 2011

Singapore Sling!
Their ferris wheel looks incredible! Loved the Helix Bridge. Just curious did you spew too? Hope not. Enjoy the Balanese Beauties:)

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb