Singapore, Just amazing!!


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Sentosa Island
June 15th 2006
Published: June 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hotel HarbourvilleHotel HarbourvilleHotel Harbourville

Our hotel, although not central, the service is very good and the bus stops were just outside, clean sheets 7 towels everyday seemed like heaven after sleeping bags!! Also very helpful and friendly staff,we highly recommnend it.
Hi all, A different continent, same old blog!!! Welcome to Asia.
Singapore is the place to come to with an empty suitcase!! Me. I'm not really a shopper, (unless I really need it!) but this place is sooooo cheap, especially at the moment as it's "The Big Singapore Sale" and the prices are really silly!! (Perhaps they are all the time but we won't be here long enough to find out!!)
It's hot & humid and we leak like buckets, but everywhere is green, so clean and the people are fantastic, so friendly and helpful, even if we can't always understand them or they us, but that hasn’t happed very often!
We’ve walked down Orchard Road, so many massive shopping malls, so much choice and bargaining is the order of the day, even if we didn't buy anything! We've eaten in China Town and Little India and had really good tasty cheap food at both places, but the place to have breakfast is at one of the food places under the apartments, there's one very near our hotel, where we had veggie curry (for brekkie) $1.50 plus 2 coffees $1.20 (about 1 quid). but if that’s not to your taste, a
Hindu templeHindu templeHindu temple

Sri Mariamman Hindu Temple, just one of teh many shrines in the courtyard of the temple.
boiled egg, 2 slices of toast with coffee all for $3.00 (1.20GBP). Just so cheap and everyone is friendly, so even if it is all locals you don't feel out of place!

I’m sure that by the time we leave Asia, we’ll be tired of visiting temples, however for now it’s still a novelty! The Sri Mariamman Hindu Temple, with brightly coloured statues of the many honored deities is quite something to behold. As is the Chinese Thian Hock Keng Temple, the Temple of Heavenly Happiness; it was built around the 1840’s, a big building with many courtyards around it and brightly coloured carvings, it is built entirely without nails and two stone lions guarding the main entrance, with red ribbons around their necks for good luck and prosperity.

We take a trip across to Sentosa Island by gondola, (cable car) ($10 each) was a refreshing change from the hustle and bustle of the city. We met a very friendly Canadian on the gondola with whom we walked around with for a while and he also took us into the Merlion (he put the cost on his uncle’s entertainment card, so he didn’t really have to pay), thank
Chinese TempleChinese TempleChinese Temple

The Thain Hock Keng Temple of Heavenly Happiness, sounds wonderful and it was, all built with out nails.
you Ryan.
Sentosa is a beautiful island with lots of attractions including beautiful beaches and warm water. However the cargo and container ships and oil refineries just off shore do detract from the desert island feeling that the Singaproreans are trying capture!!! The most popular beach was Siloso, with very expensive beach bars!!! however there are beach trams which run as clockwork along the southern edge of the island , so it's easy to look around. Plus the trams and buses on Sentosa are free, good job as it's just too hot to walk far!!! Also the most southern point of the Asian continent is on Palawan beach, at least the main land, there are some smaller islands off the coast but these obviously don't count!!! More on singapore in the next blog.
byee for now Arnie & Maggie



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Singapore SkylineSingapore Skyline
Singapore Skyline

Just as I had imagined, Singapore has a skyline full of skyscrapers, amazingly in 1934, a 9 storey building was built and considered a skyscraper!!!
Beautiful gardens of SentosaBeautiful gardens of Sentosa
Beautiful gardens of Sentosa

Singapore is very green, especially Sentosa, which has beautiful gardens and walks.
MerlionMerlion
Merlion

Us besides Singapore's emblem, the ferocious cross of fish and beast, don't know how a lion got to the Asian continent though!!!
RyanRyan
Ryan

The friendly Canadian, Ryan, thanks for taking us into the Merlion, good to meet you and enjoy the rest of your travels
Sentosa BeachSentosa Beach
Sentosa Beach

Idyllic setting, beautiful sand, warm fairly clear water, but the massive container ships (not shown!)in the distance definetly do not fit in!!! If you look hard enough there's a cruise liner in the background! That sort of fits!!!


Tot: 0.213s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb