Cool Architecture: Marina Bay Sands


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Raffles Marina
December 14th 2011
Published: December 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Marina Bay Sands Marina Bay Sands Marina Bay Sands

3 Buildings with boat on top
Marina Bay Sands is an Intergrated Resort in Singapore created by Las Vegas Sands. Its location is sitting on reclaimed land overlooking Marina Bay and the downtown. On the other side, the resort faces the Pacific Ocean and bunch of container ships waiting to get into Jurong port. It cost $8 billion dollars to build--$2 billion for the land and $6 billion for the resort.

It was designed by three architects: Moshe Safdie (who designed the Habit in Toronto), Arup (who designed the Sydney Opera House), and Parsons Binkerhoft. The Marina Bay Sands Integrated Resort consists of three different parts: (1) the resort which is three futuristic buildings with a skygarden ontop that looks like a boat, (2) the building in front that looks like a bunch of waves consists of a Convention Center, Casino and mall, (3) The ArtScience Museum that looks like a flower.

The three buildings of the resort are each 55 stories tall. The skygarden shaped like boat on top of the three buildings has a swimming pool that has a disappearing edge that looks like it goes over the edge. It also has five restaurants and a garden that has 1000 plants and trees. I think you can go up there for $20, I hope to go!

The mall has a canal that runs the length of the building and it has an English tea and cake place on top (I ate there, it was delicious!). There are some lakes with restaurants in the middle of them. Outside the mall and above the canal, there is a really cool sculpture, a Rain Ocles which is a giant see-through funnel that has rainwater swirling like a hurricane down into the canal below.

It was a fantastical place!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.03s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.014s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb