Week 1 - A week of contrasts


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Orchard Road
October 28th 2012
Published: November 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Gardens by the BayGardens by the BayGardens by the Bay

Cool tunnel between MRT and Gardens
We're discovering so many quirky facts about Singapore every day that I thought I'd set you one question per blog so you also have some fun discovering this exciting city. I'll make a note of who sends correct answers first and publish a table later! ;-)

Singapore Quiz - Question 1
* Is Singapore North or South of the Equator? And how many km away?

I've asked this question to start you off as believe it or not, we put this question to at least 5 people the first week we were here and none of them knew if they'd grown up in the northern or southern hemisphere. So I found out and now i know.

Tuesday 23 Oct - see pics
That day was the first really hot, sun only day since we arrived and by the time I got my act together with the girls, we reached our destination for the day at 1130am.
Our destination was the newly opened (May 2012) Gardens by the Bay http://www.gardensbythebay.com.sg/en/home.html , accross the street from Marina Bay Sands Hotel & Casino complex. I wasn't sure what I was going to see. When Andrew and I visited The Eden
Gardens by the BayGardens by the BayGardens by the Bay

Cool tunnel between MRT and Gardens (2)
Project in Cornwall some 10 years after its opening, we still found it bare. But I needn't have worried, for sure it will look better in years to come, but the plants, trees and vegetation they've planted looks a couple of years old, not 5 months.
We spent some time in the cool and colourful underground tunnel leading to the gardens and chasing shade in the Chinese Garden, before Julia found the "papa lion" fountain and made the most of it! We then paid to go catch some breeze at the top of the Skyway in the Supertree Grove. We only saw about 1%!o(MISSING)f the gardens so we'll definitely go back. General entrance is free. One only pays for the Domes and the Skyway.

In the evening, we had dinner in a local chinese fast food court at Triple One Somerset Mall. The food was delicious though the ordering was a tad difficult... Around the corner is a store perfect for Graeme - except it's really pricy. I won't be going back to the Candy store on my own with Julia again either as there are sighs everywhere stating: "once broken, considered as sold".
On the way
Gardens by the BayGardens by the BayGardens by the Bay

Cool tunnel between MRT and Gardens (3)
home, we stopped by the skate-board park. Julia could have happily stayed there all night watching them.

Wednesday 24 Oct

This was our second day of viewing properties. We saw a lovely condo on Holt Road, 15 minutes walk from Tiong Bahru MRT, off River Valley Road. We endeavoured to go check out the area on the Friday. Having originallyn said we wouldn't look around Orchard Road, we've had to revise our plans as Andrew works way up in the North of the island. In the words of our agent: "he works in a godforsakken place by Singapore standards".
After our visits, we had lunch in a quaint little cafe in Istana Park across the street from our flat, called the "Art Palates Cafe". Andrew and I agreed that though we were sad to leave Bristol, Singapore had lovely places too, and just on your doorstep. In the afternoon, I made the most of Andrew working from home to go out to explore on my own!
The malls on Orchard Rd are huge, insane, massive, impressive. Each one trying to outdo the next.


Thursday 25 Oct - Happy 40th Birthday Andrew!

In the morning, I
Gardens by the BayGardens by the BayGardens by the Bay

Overall view
went to the Lycee Francais de Singapour do hand-deliver Julia's file. It's a big place and looks welcoming. Julia spotted the pool immediately. :-) We took the bus on the way back. They've had the great idea of putting a barrier half way accross the entrance so one only has half the space to get in. I rammed the pushchair in and was given a seat. Luckily, they didn't make me fold the pushchair, though generally they do apparently. Maybe i'd already taken such a long time to get on that they decided to let it be. Phew.

Andrew wanted to have a quiet dinner at home, so it took me all day to organise this. First, the food. Here, there are two main supermarkets: Cold Storage and Fairprice. They both have loyalty cards programmes, but get this: one has to purchase the loyalty card for $10 (£5). So you have to spend $200 to pay off your card before you can start making a profit!
We stopped for lunch at Triple One Somerset Mall checking out office workers buying their lunch at the bakery. It's a normal shop, but you can't just select your product and pay.
Gardens by the BayGardens by the BayGardens by the Bay

Marina Bay Sands from the Gardens
You must take a tray, some tongs, lift the flap, select your item and take it to the till. Seems like such a long winded way of doing it. But the system works and having observed how it was done, Julia and I have been back there several times for lunch since.
After lunch we headed for Fairprice where it took me 30 minutes to buy almost nothing. It's not so easy with the pushchair and Julia in tow. I'm having to read all the labels and find my way around the store! I absolutely must go back to the supermarket on my own to discover all the food produce on offer.
For markets, I've been told to find "Wet Markets". But they open at 6am so not sure how often when I'll get there.

In the afternoon, the air freight part of our move arrived whilst Julia was having her nap. When she woke up and found her scooter, her books, DVDs, stuffed animals,...had been delivered, she was so happy, she was going from one toy to the next hugging each of them.

Around 6pm, we headed to the Centrepoint Mall to collect the helium balloons
Gardens by the BayGardens by the BayGardens by the Bay

Julia found a "papa lion" fountain...
we'd ordered for Andrew's birthday. The walk back was interesting. I pushed the pushchair, holding the balloons which in the wind, attacked passers by. Crossing the roads was great too: pushchair, balloons, Julia, her scooter... :-)
We stepped into the lobby and the receptionists immediately said: "our Halloween party starts now upstairs by the pool, see you there!". So instead of a quiet evening in, we had a lovely buffet party by the pool and met some of the residents + made new friends. Julia also loved getting wet in the pool with her dress.
We met Cynthia (French) & Tony (Aussie) + baby Mirabelle (3 months old) - just moved from Sydney.
And Belinda & Gerald (South Africans) + Lucas (4 years) & Zara (1 year) - just moved from Geneva.
So we're all in the same boat, looking for a place to live.

Friday 26th Oct
It's a Public Holiday today as Muslim New Year! Excellent!
So we decided to go wander around River Valley Rd to check the Holt Rd surroundings. Went to Tiong Bahru stop by MRT and walked up to Holt Rd. It took us just 15 minutes so not bad. Locals though say
Gardens by the BayGardens by the BayGardens by the Bay

...and got soaked
that it's too long a walk! Had a look around the closest mall "Valley Point" - it's got everything we would need: Cold Storage, laundry, wine shop,...pet store! See picture of dog hair-dresser! Unbelievable!
The mixture of architecture styles in this city is crazy. From modern glass and steel towers to old fashion shop houses and 80s condos. Truely mad!
We walked onto World City Mall, and found the best Food Court so far! Very clean, good selection of food and plenty of seating space. I love how every meal deal includes Miso soup. This mall even has an M&S and a Laura Ashley - so we don't get too homesick.
In the evening, Andrew blew his 40 candles!

Saturday 27th Oct
We flew on the Singapore Flyer, which is apparently the world's largest giant observation wheel - even larger than the London Eye - but then it opened 9 years later. Fun facts about the Flyer:
- 165m high - or 31 male giraffes stacked on top of one another
- 150m diametre - or about 97 Singaporean men lying head to toe
- 28 capsules which can carry 28 passengers each
- Each rotation takes 32 minutes

- One can see up to 45km away from the top - 3km more than the length of Singapore island

The Flyer sits just above the Formula 1 Grand Prix pit stops area and pretty much in the middle of the circuit. The authorities are busy putting the streets back to normal following the Grand Prix of end of September. This means that signage and pedestrian access isn't great at the moment. Julia enjoyed riding her scooter on top of the Grans Prix circuit.

In the evening, we organised a last minute BBQ by the pool with our friends Cynthia & Tony. This is the life!

Sunday 28th Oct
Little India - WOW! What a contrast with Orchard Rd and the Singapore Flyer. Only 1 MRT stop away from where we are, and yet, a world apart. The sounds, the smells, the colours, hardly a high rise in site. There's a fabulous fruit and veg market there I need to go back and explore. With the upcoming Deepavali celebrations on 13th Nov, Petain Street has been transformed into a lively and colourful street market.
We had lunch in an authentic Indian restaurant called Masala Hut. Julia declared
Gardens by the BayGardens by the BayGardens by the Bay

Supertree Grove
that she didn't want to eat in that restaurant again as the food hurt her throat! Andrew and I think it was too nice a place not to go back. Next time, we'll have to eat with our hands as the locals did.




Next time... Will we find a place to live?





TravelBlog:


Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 29


Advertisement

Evening at Triple One Somerset MallEvening at Triple One Somerset Mall
Evening at Triple One Somerset Mall

Candy Empire - for Graeme
Istana ParkIstana Park
Istana Park

Lunch @ Art Palates
Istana ParkIstana Park
Istana Park

Lunch @ Art Palates
Huge MallsHuge Malls
Huge Malls

Ngee Ann City on Orchard Rd
Air freight's here!Air freight's here!
Air freight's here!

Julia hugging her toys
Balloons for AndrewBalloons for Andrew
Balloons for Andrew

It was so windy as we walked back to the flat that the balloons were attacking passers by.
AJ's 3 ladiesAJ's 3 ladies
AJ's 3 ladies

This picture may go in his private office!
Halloween PartyHalloween Party
Halloween Party

Chinese buffet for Andrew's birthday meal


Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb