Sunny Singapore!


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Bugis Village
May 27th 2008
Published: May 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We made it. We arrived at Heathrow with plenty of time to spare. Once we had boarded the plane, they decided to delay us....for 2 hours. I had the window seat and poor Willo was in the middle of me and a guy that is only known as "BP Man".
BP Man is one of the biggest legends we have ever met. His favourite word is "shit" and in a South African accent it sounds very funny. He happend to be very drunk and wouldn't stop talking to start with but eventually he fell asleep. He had heard of the Oracle financial system and described it using his favourite word.
After 14 hours sat on the plane we arrived at sunny Singapore. It was at this time that we had our first experience of the Singapore MRT (there version of the Underground). First impressions were....how clean it was compared to London's underground. No litter, no graffiti and great air conditioning! We used the MRT everyday we were in Singapore and it was fantastic.
Now on to the accomodation! Sleepy Sam's was a quiet little place, right next to a mosque and that was the only noisey thing about it. Every 5
hours of so, we would here this huge chanting from some guy in the mosque! It was usually very funny apart from the 6.30am one!
Our first day there we just strolled around the local area and had a McDonalds as we were to scared to try some noodle thing! We were very tired from the flight and didnt do much, apart from visit Raffles and have a Singapore Sling. All I can say about that is 'expensive'. Second day we went sight seeing! To be honest the biggest sights were of a business district and the huge sky scrapers! Also Orchard street was pretty cool. You had all the big name shops there and if I hadn't only had a backpack with me I could quite easily of spent my penny's on some discounted gear due to the 70% Singapore sale. That night we went out for a few drinks with a guy called Sean that we had met in the hostel. The nightlife is all along the river and is a very chilled out place to go. On our last day in Singapore, due to a few to many Tiger beers, I had a hangover! Not a great way to start the day but we went to a sky rail and saw the city from a good height. After that we tried the old 'Hair of the Dog' trick in an Irish pub called Muddy Murphy's. After a couple of beers we found that a rain storm had started outside....we were in shorts and t-shirts! It's amazing how hot it is still when it is raining there. We bought a cheap crappy umbrella from a local stand but it failed to provide much protection!
Once we got back to the hostel soaking wet, we had to get ready for the next part of our journey. We were leaving for Cairns, Australia and hopefully some more Sun!


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



30th May 2008

Lucky gits
Hi Steve & Dan Cheers for your update on your blog, i know you won't be able to update it all of the time but it makes a good read so i can't wait for the next instalment. There is more movement on the southcoast again ~ Pearson out as Saints sensationally appoint Dutch coach! In case you may want to read the good old Echo try this link it may work or not http://www.thisishampshire.net/sport/saints/ I gave Andy your winnings yep a whole £80 wow living the big time lol. Have fun and enjoy!! Lee
30th May 2008

enjoying yourself
Its nice to know you are never too far from an Irish Pub!!! Are you missing your mums cooking yet or washing facilities!!!! Its nice to see you enjoying the local cuisine (Mc D's) and a bit of rain!!!!There's been plenty here too. Look forward to more photos and interesting blog - i didnt realise you could string more than 1 sentance togeather!!!! Keep it up. Have a great time Sarah G

Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0618s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb