Can't Find Nothing Wrong


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines
March 21st 2008
Published: March 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

I arrived in the Philippines last March 10 and until now, I can't find anything wrong with this country. Everything that I see and witness are positive changes and evidentiary proofs that this country has caught up with the rest of its Asian neighbors in terms of economic progress and modernization. Granted that the population of the Philippines has reached 80 to 90 million at the latest count. But this data only offers a sure source of raw manpower for the country and the world to tap on. Major countries in the world, such as in the Middle East, Europe, Australia, New Zealand and the US have laid out a welcome mat for Filipino overseas workers. Since they are known for their perseverance, dedication and expertise in their line of work, Filipino workers never run out of job offers overseas. That's why, along Roxas Boulevard, you'll see hundreds of Filipinos patiently in line or are gathered in groups as they wait for their travel documents or seek employment opportunities at the various offices of recruitment agencies in the Greater Manila Area. Meanwhile, side by side with these busy recruitment activities, you'll see megamalls and super food stores sprouting all over the city. Malls such as the Mall of Asia located along the reclaimed area of Manila or the giant of malls of ShoeMart and other large corporations all over the country only attest to the growing buying power of the peso and the ability of the Filipino people to enjoy the modern amenities of life without having to go abroad. There are jobs out there ready for the taking, if only one will not be choosy as to the kind of work that a person can do. The government, while under the watchful eye of an unforgiving opposition political party, carries on with is role of providing economic assistance to its citizens while at the same time, maintaining law and order among its 80 million-strong population. Everywhere in the cities of Metro Manila area, you see people, people, and more people busy with things to do with their lives. Dark-skinned traffic operatives of the Metro Manila Development Authority as well as of the Philippine National Police are out there in the middle of busy traffic thoroughfares trying their best to maintain order and keep the traffic flowing. Bus terminals for provincial buses and jeepneys are located in such a way that they are so centralized that passengers will have an easy time locating which bus will take them to their respective destinations. Bus terminals alone are a busy interaction of commerce and people. What more when you go to its public markets. This where you'll gasp with awe at the plentiful display of foods, fruits and vegetables, meat and chicken and household commodities that you'll simply quip: "How come these things are not reported or described abroad so other nations will know that this country is just at par with its Asian neighbors in economic progress and prosperity.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.356s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0722s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb