3 weeks in the philippines


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines
March 6th 2008
Published: March 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

3 weeks in reality





Recently got back from a lovely three week trip from the philippines. My trip was that of a unique experience for several reasons. Firstly I was born in the Philippines and hadn't been back since I was 4. The second, I was adopted from Manila and brough over to Australia. Thirdly I was lucky enough to spend my time with 6 others, 2 who I have grown up with, both adopted.
Most of our time was spent on an island in the Visays however we spent time in both Cebu city and manilla.
The Philippines is the most diverse place that I have ever seen. while each country has degrees of poverty and wealth, the Philippines seems to project this to a far greater extent.
be warned Not everything you see in this amazing place will be happy or comforting, yet this is the most vital aspect of truly experiencing the place.
Manilla-We stayed at Quezon city for 5 days in a 5 star hotel. Our ideas about 5 star accomodation were different to theirs. We stayed in Fernandina 88 suites, which had an excellent location close to about 5 huge shopping centres, and the hottest night clubs.
If you love mixing with the locals in true r n b/hip hop style head to serve or embassy. We warned there is a lot of unrest between gangs so tred carefully and with total respect. If upperclass and celebritiy style is more your cup of tea get a can to makati city and check out cusine in Fort Bonaficio, expect about 150-200 pesoes each way. Get cabs with meters and dont let cab drivers push you around.

Cebu-We stayed in Casa Rosario which was absolutely lovely. Very humid and warm but not unbareable. Very small area where we stayed but nice to have a good restuaruant down the road. The open air hut resturuant was excellent, tried the BBQ chicken, it was heaven. A bit of a red light district, expect a lot of prositutes walking about with old white men. Interesting. Because of this aspect the area is generally very safe. We played street basketball with the locals...bit of cheating went down but a eye opening experience.

Next we went to Bantayan about three hour car drive to the port and then a half an hour ferry.
This place is UNBELIEVABLE. We stayed in Santa Fe at Budjong Beach resort. It is paradise in scenery however there is a bit of corruption on the island. Politicians and locals can only be trusted to some extent. This goes for policemen. In counties of poverty everything comes a price. Santa Fe is amazing and the rest of the Island can be viewed by bikeride in about three hours. Hire a motorbike if you get the chance. No license needed and dont pay more than about 600 peoses a day for one. Talk to the locals. Ask for G boy and he'll look after you.

You can eat like a king very cheaply on this island. Around 10 US a day. I recommend trying all the resturuants and the chicken sold on the street. Head here in mid Janurary and the festival is on so the whole town is buzzing. Expect to get drunk and sing a lot of kareoke.
Plenty of adventures on this island and lots of good memories to be had. Watch out for the locals trying to set you up to be married. Philipinos fall in love very quickly if a bit of cash is thought to be made, but enjoy showing them all a good time.

SAnta Fe. is an amzing place and if you be-friend locals they will remember you when they come back. Enjoy the stay.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0329s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb