Second Week In The Office & Second Trip


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Tagaytay
February 4th 2017
Published: February 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

The excitement in the office on my second week of work was due to a fire. A large fire broke out at a manufacturing company right near Schneider in Cavite. On our way to work on Wednesday, there was more traffic than usual once we reached Cavite. We also heard sirens everywhere as emergency vehicles flew by us. We soon learned of the fire. Schneider, along with a lot of other manufacturing companies in Cavite, is located within a gated area. Each day we pass through Gate 3 to go to work. And each day on our way home from work, we pass through Gate 3 and they open the door of the van to make sure we aren't smuggling anything out. Well, on Wednesday of this week, Gate 3 was closed on our way to work because of the fire. We had to enter through a different gate. We could see the smoke and flames as we passed by Gate 3. After passing Gate 3, we passed by a hospital that had tons of people outside. They were family and friend of the works that were in the fire, standing outside waiting to receive news of their loved ones. With the traffic and the change of route, it took us an hour and a half to get to work. Once we reached work, the air was thick with smoke. Schneider was handing out masks to the employees if they were going to be outside. Walking into the office, it was very somber. A lot of people in the office know people that work at HTI, the company that caught fire. The people that I spoke to had friends and neighbors that work there. There were reports that the fire broke out on the second floor and people were trapped on the third floor. People were saying that 200 people had died. It was really sad to hear.

The fire continued for two days. Every day that we drove by, we could still see the flames and black smoke. The media was releasing news saying everyone was accounted, many with serious injuries and only one that had passed away. The people that I work with think the company paid of the families that lost loved ones to keep quiet. Who knows what really happened.

In the office this week, they had their recognition day. Jollibee, the Philippines fast food equivalent to McDonalds, came into the office. They were playing music and making everyone dance. They grabbed me for an activity and I had no clue what the guy was saying. Everyone on my team kept yelling "In English" so that I could understand. We has to dribble a balloon on a chair while dancing. Some people had to shake their booties. Since I was in a dress, he only made me chacha.

And the other excitement of the week was that I ate intestines! Chicken intestines to be precise. It wasn't that bad because it just tasted fried.

On Saturday after work at 7 AM, some of the people from my team and I headed to Tagaytay. The drive was about 2 hours from work. He had a very early lunch at a nice restaurant called RSM. We ate pork, fish, more pork, more fish, rice of course, and a beef stew that the restaurant is known for. One of the dishes that we had was Sisig which is the face and liver of the pig cut up into a hash. I only had a bite of that.



After leaving the restaurant, we went to a very famous church in Tagaytay. A Filipino tradition is to knock three times on the door of a church that you have never been to before entering it. It will give you good luck. The church was also on a plot of land with a hanging bridge, Koi pond, and some beautiful views. We then we to a few local shopping areas and had a drink while enjoying some beautiful scenery. On the ride home, we all passed out because we had been up for over 24 hours at the point.



On Sunday, I woke up at 7 AM to watch the Superbowl! What an amazing game that was. I felt bad for my neighbors because I was cheering/yelling so loud at the TV. Go Pats!!

Advertisement



15th February 2017

What have you done with my daughter?!?
Chicken intestines? Pig face? My daughter Olivia had chickens for pets and hasnt eaten pork since she was 5 years old. Where is my daughter and who is pretending to be her while eating those animal products?
18th February 2017

Intestines???
I'm with your mom. You've morphed into a pork eating machine!

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0615s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb