Subic Bay...a strange place!!


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Subic
December 14th 2008
Published: December 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Dear all,
We are now three hours north of Manila in a place called Subic Bay and came here by bus on Thursday. We are staying in the city called Olongapo which is right next to an area called Subic Bay Free Zone. This is a strange area that used to be a naval base and now has a few hotels, restaurants and some duty free shops. The main reason to come here is for the wreck diving as there are about six big wrecks sitting just off of the coast.
Having been here for four days we are ready to move on. I mentioned in my last blog that we had been offered diving work over Christmas on an island called Mactan. This seemed like a great offer but we needed to find a room on the island. If we had 200 dollars to spend a night then it would not be a problem but all of the budget options are fully booked. So we have decided that we can't take the work.
The good news is that we have booked a lovely room on Puerta Galera. Its got a kitchen and its going to be a great place to spend Christmas. So we are heading there tomorrow. First we have to do the three hour journey back to Manila, then three hours down to Batangas Port and then a ferry journey to the island. We hope to be there by tuesday!
Then we will be settled for Christmas! The people here are Christians so they all celebrate Christmas and there are plenty of decorations everywhere. It still doesn't feel right listening to "white christmas" though!!!

Right love to you all, I will be in touch when I get to Puerta Galera.

Wendy
xxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb