Holy Week in the Philippines


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Pampanga
April 13th 2006
Published: April 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Being the only Catholic nation in Asia, the Philippines observe the Lenten Season religiously. The eight-day celebration starting from Palm Sunday until Easter Sunday is filled with spiritual and religious rites commemorating the passion, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Visita Iglesia
Every Maundy Thursday, the Visita Iglesia is being practiced by devote catholics. The traditional Visita Iglesia is said to be the commemoration of Jesus Christ’s journey through the streets of Jerusalem to the hill of Golgotha. Supposedly, as there are 14 Stations of the Cross, 14 churches should be visited. But as far as I can remember, we only visit 7 churches.

This year, we visited the churches along our place in Pampanga - our Parish in Mexico, Sto. Domingo, San Jose, Chancery, Dolores, San Agustin, and lastly in St. Jude. As we go to churches, we passed by chapels who chants the “Pasyon” where a group of elders narrates the passion and death of Jesus Christ.

Penitence and Crucifixion
The province of Pampanga is well-known for self-flagellants who whip their backs as a form of their repentance. On a Good Friday, in San Pedro, Cutud, there are also people who get nailed in the cross, as a re-enactment of Christ’s crucifixion.

I’ve been born in Pampanga, but I have never witnessed the actual crucifixion in Cutud. I have this childhood paranoia of flagellants and persons who carry the cross. Having the courage to face my fear, I decided to watch the event which draws a large crowd from all over the world during Good Friday.

It was noontime, and the street going to the Crucifixion site was filled with a crowd. I could almost feel the back of a fellow observer. The crowd gets more unruly whenever flagellants pass by, to the fear that they will be squirted with blood.

I got sunburned, because it was almost 30 minutes before we reached the site, and it was really hot. When we, at last, got to the crucifixion site, we were disappointed because there were a lot of people in the place. We could barely see the actual crucifixion. When three men were nailed on the cross, we already decided to go home and rest.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



19th February 2007

It makes me cry...
Those pictures makes me cry.. it reminds me the times that i was there in pampanga.. I am one of those people who carrying a cross.. en it is the reason for who i am now..A good Christian, now i know,, this is the start of my new life here in boracay.. But i will never forget the times that i spend in pampamga just to complete my PINITENSYA.. carrying the cross at the Holy Thursday.. I am PROUD TO BE A KAPAMPANGAN! THANK YOU TO THOSE PICTURES.. IT MAKES ME CRY AND HAPPI.. i REMEMBER MY GRANDPARENTS IN PAMPANGA..

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0679s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb