Slinging around in Sebang Hammocks


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Palawan
January 7th 2017
Published: January 28th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Got a minivan from Peurto Princesa to a small coastal town called Sebang. We stayed in the most magnificent place high up a hillside on the edge of a natural forest...great location to feel the nature of a jungley forest but not so good for sleeping...geckos, frogs (bizarre calls), cicadas, and god knows what else was out there...and then of course the mornings with monkeys (Macaque) roosters and dogs ...and of-course cicadas 😊 It was so beautiful to be there. The accomodation was desgned to beautifully capture the feel of the jungle.

The actual town of Sebang is pretty much a resort village. There is a distinct delineation between the locals (a street, a market and a port) and the foreigners (The Sheridan and other fancy resorts). They all stay in the resort or in the beach directly in front ..although most just stay in the pool area) and go on escorted island tours. It's pretty ridiculous but I get it too, it's a little slice of paradise to relax in. We did enjoy a little hammock swinging ourselves...even though we weren't staying in the resorts, nobody knew 😊

We bought our food from the street vendors (best banana fritters on a stick!) and ate amazing fried chicken and adobo and veg stews at a local food restaurant (which we returned to again and again). In the Philippines they just have big pots on a bench and you go have a look inside to see if you want to eat there. The trick is to get the ones that are made fresh and haven't been left out too long. Sebang was excellent for this, everything was very fresh. The locals are very proud when you choose to eat in their establishment.

Sebang is famous for its Underground River. We have videos but can't post them here. Google it. We went on the Mountain trail walk which was a gruelling 8km return track. Truly wonderful trail with lost so wondrous sights but it did my ego no good at all when our guide turned up with a small bottle of water, no food and wearing thongs on her feet. (I had my full hiking gear on).

Days of walking. Trecking is marvellous but it is nice to get to some modern comforts and hot meals too.

On the last day we on a mangrove paddle boat tour which was another highlight. Our guide sang us a song (Filipinos love to sing and Karaoke is huge) and we saw monitor lizards and some spectacular mangroves.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb