Just a spoonful of Sugar!!


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Negros » Silay
March 5th 2011
Published: March 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Iloilo - Negros!


Our island hopping led us onto the island of Negros where the beautiful Sugar Beach is. We thought it would be a crime to visit the Philippines and not laze on one of the many gorgeous beaches that are here (this is how we justified yet another beach excursion for us!!).

To get to Sugar Beach was a bit of an experience, we had to jump off the bus en route to Sipalay City and barter for a tricycle to the shore – from here we were guided by some kids to a river and one of them then rowed us across in a small paddle-boat! We were worrying that this might look a bit like child exploitation but we made sure they were tipped generously!

From the other side of the river you walk around a rocky hill and then find Sugar Beach hidden behind it between two rocky outcrops. Right away we were glad we had come here as it is by far the nicest beach we have seen and its isolation gave it even more appeal.

We spent a couple of days here having the beautiful Sugar Beach all to ourselves. When it became too tough to lie in the sun we had our own hammocks in the shade among the palm trees to laze in – pure bliss!!

As the beach was pretty underdeveloped it meant going back to basics - we were practically sleeping outside in tiny bamboo huts which consisted of a mattress on the floor for our beds! The German owner promised us he did the best food on the beach and he wasn’t lying – he served up some brilliant tasty dishes and we had some braw fresh fish ‘n’ chips on our last night that easily beats any chippy back hame!!

Leaving the beach as always was a wrench but we had to make the long journey back to Manila via a flight from Cebu City. We’ve both had a fantastic time travelling the Philippines over the last couple of weeks, from the buzz of Manila to the exhilarating experience of swimming with the whale sharks! The Filipino’s are in our opinion the most friendliest and welcoming bunch out of the lot in South East Asia.

Its ‘paalam’ (goodbye!) to the gorgeous Philippines and hello to Singapore…



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



10th March 2011

Life's a beach!!
Ah well Paul it's nice to lie on the beach but it looks like you were on some local brew,,,Kings of Fife indeed,,,tut tut laddie!!!! On a serious note what a beautiful place and fish and chips better than a chippie back home,,,sounds awesome. Take care guys,,,Australia beckons!! Dad.
15th March 2011

coincidences
It's amazing how our paths almost crossed! I was in Silay, before Donsol. You came to Donsol to swim with the whale sharks a day after I left, then went on to Silay. Glad to know you had a lovely time in the Philippines. Hope you find the chance to head back. This time, going North perhaps to check out the rice terraces and caves in cool, breezy Banaue. Happy travels, you two!

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 13; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb