Famous for more than just diving!


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Mindoro » Sabang
April 1st 2011
Published: April 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

'I didn't know it was a THAT kind of resort when I booked it, I promise' says Dave. Ah yes Watling, we've all heard that one before!! I'm wise to your game :-)

After a fairly simple four hour bus and boat trip, we arrived in the pretty town of Sabang. The town is renowned for it's diving, which is obvious from the amount of shops that line the shore. We were booked into one of the better hotels situated on the hillside. First impressions were that Sabang was a bit of a sleepy town. We'd heard that it was like that in the day while everyone was out diving, and then livened up at night... Well it sure did! As nightfall approached the red lit 'karaoke' bars, discos and massage parlours came out. We quickly realised when we looked around the bar one night, that Dave was the youngest man by about 20 years and I was the only western girl. 

Suprisingly we actually had a good time here. It's not too over developed even though it is slightly seedy! Everyone we  met was really friendly, and we even made a few friends. A couple of the bars
Traveling in styleTraveling in styleTraveling in style

Forget taxis! If you're traveling by road in the philippines it'll either be by tricycle or Jeepney.
had live bands, some of which were pretty impressive. Dave got a bit tipsy one night and was a little abusive to a Korean restaurant that had sea turtle on the menu. I think he's an environmental activist in the making.

Unfortuneatly my poor foot had not sufficiently recovered enough to dive. Dave did a couple the day before we left. He said I didn't miss much but then again he would. The weather in the Philippines has been a bit dodgy over the last few months which has effected the visibility. It's probably about 15m which isn't amazing for this part of the world. Having said that we have been lucky and the last few days have been warm and sunny. Perfect for lounging by the pool. Next stop North Pandan Island.

Love Emma & Dave xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Local 'bangka' boatLocal 'bangka' boat
Local 'bangka' boat

Take a standard small vessel and balance it out with some bamboo poles!


Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0331s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb