The picture perfect island


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Mindoro » Pandan Island
April 6th 2011
Published: April 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We knew that navigating the Philippines was going to be a challenge at times. Boats are the main mode of transportation, an there are often multiple ways and costs to get from one place to another. Our journey from Sabang to North Pandan was a fine example of this.

We set off at about 9:30am on a private bangka boat to Abra de Ilog which is about 1.5hrs away. The ride in our little bamboo supported boat was most pleasant, until we had to jump out of it into waist deep choppy water. Needless to say we weren't dressed for it so had to sit with wet bottoms for the next three hours on a bus to Sabaylan. When we arrived we had to get a tricycle (motorbike and sidecar), to the port where we caught another small boat over to North Pandan. We arrived at about 5:30pm in the end, so treated ourselves a well deserved ice cold San Miguel.

The island only has one resort which is very very basic. There is little power available so no air-con or room fans. The shower and taps are sea water and a limited amount of fresh water is supplied for rinsing! The bungalows themselves have no windows just sliding wooden shutters. When we arrived and asked for the room key, the barman laughed and said, 'No keys sir, you just slide the door open'. Arh yes so you do, luckily I have Dave with me! What the island lacks in amenities, it makes up for in views. You really do feel like you're stranded on a desert island. Nothing is washed up on the beach apart from coral and natural debris. There are no bars, shops or clubs, but instead you are surrounded by amazing views and snorkelling. North Pandan is also home to several Sea turtles which we've found munching on the sea grass.

Diving is once again king around these parts, and one of the best places to visit is Apo Reef. Unfortunately though it doesn't come cheap as there isn't much competition. Depending on how many people are on the boat, you're looking at about £150 per person for three dives. That includes things like an environmental tax and the compulsory test dive you have to do the day before. To be honest it's a very similar site to Sipidan. We saw quite a few
Our little shackOur little shackOur little shack

Who says you can't use tarpaulin as a blackout blind!
sharks and turtles, but not nearly as many as with Scuba Junkies. The coral gardens at Apo were probably more beautiful and plentiful though.

One of the highlights was watching Dave hand feed a chicken drumstick to a rather large Napoleon Wrasse from the boat after lunch. He must of leapt back about a metre as soon as the fish jumped out and snatched it from his hand! Dave said he'd like to point out the wrasse swallowed the drumstick whole and still had space in it's mouth. It also had very big teeth!

We didn't just see impressive fish underwater. While eating lunch, a pod of dolphins swam within metres of the boat, and on the way back we managed to get right up next to a group of pilot whales (I don't know the collective noun for those!) 

Although our stay here was only brief and the accommodation was definitely basic, we both enjoyed it. North Pandan is probably one of the only places we've been that has really felt like a desert island.

Love Emma & Dave xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0597s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb